From: Corey <corey@bitworthy.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] how to fix: 'arena arenas00 creation time after last write time'
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:15:44 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 17:42:23 Corey wrote:
> My experience is indicating a different reality,
> or I'm still not interpreting my experience correctly.

It was definitely the latter.

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 07:02:01 Steve Simon wrote:
> Is it possible that you did not let this intiial dump finish when
> you first rebooted your machine. In that case each time you reboot
> it will be trying to continue this dump

Erik, Russ and Steve - thanks a ton for sticking with me on that;
and for explaining things so well. Very much appreciated.

Quick summary of what went wrong for me there:

It's exactly as Russ and Steve described - at some point I began
rebooting the terminal before fossil had finished dumping to venti.
The reason I became so confused was because prior to that, I had
been leaving my terminal up for long periods between reboots. It
wasn't until I first attempted to change the timezone that I _also_
began rebooting my terminal soon after the first-time login after
an install had completed. I was ignorant of how fossil+venti
interacted, and I had not yet experienced the results of rebooting
before the dump had completed - so I fixated on the timezone as
the only thing that seemed to be connected to the "problem" I was
seeing - and the 'creation time after last write time' error from venti
was an additional red-herring.

Thanks again for helping me along guys, and to Russ for providing
such an in depth look into what I was missing regarding fossil+venti;
way cool!

Respectfully,

Corey