* [9fans] 2nd draft of the Cpu/Auth Server howto online
@ 2009-08-13 11:02 Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-08-13 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.p9dp.org/plan9-cpu-auth-server-howto.html

This is likely to be the final draft; it has been optimized in various ways and
I have thoroughly tested it multiple times.

Sure would be terrific if a few folks of varying degrees of experience with
Plan 9 could actually take the document for a real spin and confirm that
it works as advertised.

For those who are willing to test it - and who can set up a cpu/auth server
with their eyes closed - please realize it is important that you go through
the steps verbatim in order to provide a reliable assessment (of course,
this should be obvious).

Thankyou!

* Re: [9fans] 2nd draft of the Cpu/Auth Server howto online
@ 2009-08-14  0:36 ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-08-14  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Corey<corey@bitworthy.net> wrote:

> http://www.p9dp.org/plan9-cpu-auth-server-howto.html
>
> This is likely to be the final draft; it has been optimized in various ways and
> I have thoroughly tested it multiple times.
>
> Sure would be terrific if a few folks of varying degrees of experience with
> Plan 9 could actually take the document for a real spin and confirm that
> it works as advertised.
>
> For those who are willing to test it - and who can set up a cpu/auth server
> with their eyes closed - please realize it is important that you go through
> the steps verbatim in order to provide a reliable assessment (of course,
> this should be obvious).

Hi Corey

I recently used your guide to setup a cpu server. I have to say that
it was a lot clearer than the wiki version. I did remember needing to
uncomment the lines below in cpurc based on my old install.

# if(! test -e /rc/bin/service.auth/il566){
#	mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.il566 /rc/bin/service.auth/il566
#	mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.tcp567 /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567
#	mv /rc/bin/service/il566 /rc/bin/service/!il566
#	mv /rc/bin/service/tcp567 /rc/bin/service/!tcp567
# }

I am not sure your guide needs to be updated to do that instead of just

step 5.
term% mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.tcp567 /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567

I am not sure of the advantage of doing it either way.

thanks
fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] 2nd draft of the Cpu/Auth Server howto online
@ 2009-08-14  1:01   ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-08-14  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thursday 13 August 2009 17:36:43 Fernan Bolando wrote:
> I recently used your guide to setup a cpu server. I have to say that
> it was a lot clearer than the wiki version. I did remember needing to
> uncomment the lines below in cpurc based on my old install.
>
> # if(! test -e /rc/bin/service.auth/il566){
> #	mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.il566 /rc/bin/service.auth/il566
> #	mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.tcp567 /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567
> #	mv /rc/bin/service/il566 /rc/bin/service/!il566
> #	mv /rc/bin/service/tcp567 /rc/bin/service/!tcp567
> # }
>
> I am not sure your guide needs to be updated to do that instead of just
>
> step 5.
> term% mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.tcp567 /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567
>
> I am not sure of the advantage of doing it either way.

There were a few considerations involved which induced me to write Step 5
the way it is:

* IL appears to be largely deprecated in lieue of TCP, and certainly is not
necessary to a functional cpu/auth server, so the howto does not configure it

* /rc/bin/service/tcp567 does not exist on a current terminal system as
installed via the latest plan 9 iso images, so the:

mv /rc/bin/service/tcp567 /rc/bin/service/!tcp567

...is unnecessary

* the test in the if statement is not needed once you have performed the
command as per Step 5 ( also, the test as it currently exists in recent
iso's is: if (! test -e /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567) )

* finally it is the goal of the howto to be as simple as possible and no
simpler -  Step 5 is straight-forward and internally consistent with the
rest of the document

Thankyou very much for testing it out - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Corey

* Re: [9fans] 2nd draft of the Cpu/Auth Server howto online
@ 2009-08-14  1:14     ` Corey
From: Corey @ 2009-08-14  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thursday 13 August 2009 18:01:03 Corey wrote:
<snip>
> * finally it is the goal of the howto to be as simple as possible and no
> simpler -  Step 5 is straight-forward and internally consistent with the
> rest of the document

Just a quick aside, in order to better satisfy the stated goal is why I
removed the rio-on-startup and venti portions of the howto. They
are both optional elements, and additionally add extra complexity
and windows of opportunity for failure.

I will be introducing other documentation, that will be largely similar
in form and function to cpu/auth howto, which will cover auxiliary
tasks and components of a typical plan 9 environment.