* [9fans] Inserting Special Characters into Acme
@ 2009-08-17  9:09 Aaron W. Hsu
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aaron W. Hsu @ 2009-08-17  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there some way to insert special characters into Acme text windows?
Specifically, I want to do some file editing and put CRLF line endings
into some files, or around specific lines. Is there a way to do this
regularly, just typing, I'd also like to know a bulk or Edit command to do
it, also.

	Aaron W. Hsu

--
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. -- C. S. Lewis

* Re: [9fans] Inserting Special Characters into Acme
@ 2009-08-17  9:42 ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-08-17  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd have another window holding the special characters, and just
copy-paste them in the lines you want to (mouse chords are the key for
doing this quickly). Obviously this makes sense only if you have to
insert few special characters per file, and not to many files.
But if you want to add them at the end of each line I think that
,s/$/SP/g
should work. Replace SP for any string of characters you need.

@ 2009-08-17  9:44 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2009-08-17  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is there some way to insert special characters into Acme text windows?
> Specifically, I want to do some file editing and put CRLF line endings
> into some files, or around specific lines.

To get a CR, just type Ctrl-M (or Alt-X 000d). You can type it into text,
or use it in an Edit or button-3 search just like any other character.

LF is a bit more special but you can use \n to insert one in an Edit
command.

* Re: [9fans] Inserting Special Characters into Acme
@ 2009-08-17  9:48 ` matt
From: matt @ 2009-08-17  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

^M inserts a c/r

see /lib/keyboard for the other text entries

the second column is the key sequence, the first uses the modifier key
(left Alt on my pc)

so, for instance, � is alt-a e
alt-shift-o c is �
alt-d g is �

@ 2009-08-17 21:40   ` Kris Maglione
From: Kris Maglione @ 2009-08-17 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:48:23AM +0100, matt wrote:
> see /lib/keyboard for the other text entries
>
> the second column is the key sequence, the first uses the modifier key
> (left Alt on my pc)

man keyboard

--
Kris Maglione

I did say something along the lines of "C makes it easy to shoot
yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows
your whole leg off."
	--Bjarne Stroustrup