From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9vx is really excellent, link it on the bell-labs pages?
Date: Thu,  1 Oct 2009 01:32:37 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:54:52 +0100
matt <maht-9fans@maht0x0r.net> wrote:

> > I've had "/bin/rc: not found" twice from Qemu with clean shutdowns
>
> I've also *just* had the disk go bad during the install to a qcow2 disk,
> at 90%+ too :(
>
> (or at least I think it went bad, I had lots of /n/newfs not found based
> errors)
>
> I started over with a raw disk instead

Owwwww!  You know one thing..  I've had trouble getting qemu to build
in the past and ended up using qemu 0.9.1 long after 1.0 was out, and
it's rock solid.  I've had no trouble from qemu at all.  I think I'll
stick with 0.9.1 now!  Oh btw the man pages for 0.9.1 seemed to imply
that qcow2 was really only to be used where the host OS doesn't
support holes.  (Holes are long runs of 0, and can be stored as a
simple length.) Maybe it's not tested very well any more.

As to drawterm, I've held xorg-server back too.  It's at 1.4.2, and
I'm having no trouble with drawterm.  I really hate the careless
changes in recent xorg-server versions, several old-but-good functions
don't work right any more.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.