From: Dave Eckhardt <davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] sanity check
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:47:55 -0400	[thread overview]

> If you create a rio window and then you change
> the name space sitting under rio, the existing window's
> name space (which has already been copied from rio)
> doesn't inherit the new path.  So just re-binding things
> doesn't work as you might hope.

This is why filename completion doesn't work if I
"9fs sources", right?  My shell's namespace has
something mounted in /n/sources, but rio's doesn't.

Contrariwise, if I plumb "Local 9fs sources" then
I can complete filenames which aren't actually in
my namespace unless I run the command inside the
window.

> This sort of thing comes up enough that I think
> it would be nice if it did work (some new flag to
> rfork), but it's not there now.

I'm not expert enough to make strong statements,
but it does sort of feel like something is wrong.
Maybe rfork() needs another namespace operation
in addition to copy/share/blank, something like
"copy on write", so that windows could have their
own devices but inherit additions to the "login
namespace" as they happen?

Dave Eckhardt