* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
       [not found] <<Pine.BSI.4.64.0911261033570.13404@malasada.lava.net>
@ 2009-11-26 20:36 ` erik quanstrom
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-26 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Nov 26 15:36:39 EST 2009, newsham@lava.net wrote:
> > or the cannonical example, a hard drive.
>
> I intentionally avoided this one because two things that modern
> OSs do know how to share (at least a little) are:
>    - filesystems
>    - printers

it is pretty hard to run windows, osx or linux without
a hard drive.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-26 20:53   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-11-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> it is pretty hard to run windows, osx or linux without
> a hard drive.

linux is actually quite easy and has been for about 12 years or more
... not sure of the others.

ron

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-26 21:04     ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) @ 2009-11-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> linux is actually quite easy and has been for about 12 years or more
> ... not sure of the others.

I was running diskless Windows in 1995; it wasn't pretty, but it could
be done.  These days you can run XP+ diskless if you have the right
Windows Server and installation tools fu.

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-26 21:31       ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-11-26 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) wrote:
>> linux is actually quite easy and has been for about 12 years or more
>> ... not sure of the others.
>
> I was running diskless Windows in 1995; it wasn't pretty, but it could
> be done.  These days you can run XP+ diskless if you have the right
> Windows Server and installation tools fu.

Don't get me started on diode plugboard 'ROM', mercury or nickel-iron delay
lines and 'upgrading' to mag drum memory now...

Time was when a power user's *personal* computer (~US$ 25,000+ in 1968-69
dollars [1]) had the full-house complement of RAM it could hold.

All 8 kilobytes of it.

;-)

.. and we controlled satellites and serious weapons systems with those as well
as digitizing electro cardiograms and such.

More seriously - there's another probable reason Plan9 hasn't found greater take-up.

No need to share when there are enough sheep to go around...

Bill

[1] For which price one could buy anywhere from four to twelve new automobiles
at the time.

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-26 23:11   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-26 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Thu Nov 26 15:36:39 EST 2009, newsham@lava.net wrote:
> > > or the cannonical example, a hard drive.
> >
> > I intentionally avoided this one because two things that modern
> > OSs do know how to share (at least a little) are:
> >    - filesystems
> >    - printers
>
> it is pretty hard to run windows, osx or linux without
> a hard drive.

Linux runs fine diskless. Done it already 15 years ago ...

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 174 7066481   icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-26 23:28       ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-26 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
> > linux is actually quite easy and has been for about 12 years or more
> > ... not sure of the others.
>
> I was running diskless Windows in 1995; it wasn't pretty, but it could
> be done.  These days you can run XP+ diskless if you have the right
> Windows Server and installation tools fu.

Yep. Around that time we ran diskless win-3.x and win95 via Novell.
A bit tricky to setup, but it worked.

@ 2009-11-26 23:28   ` matt
From: matt @ 2009-11-26 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom wrote:

>On Thu Nov 26 15:36:39 EST 2009, newsham@lava.net wrote:
>

>>>or the cannonical example, a hard drive.
>>>

>>I intentionally avoided this one because two things that modern
>>OSs do know how to share (at least a little) are:
>>   - filesystems
>>   - printers
>>

>it is pretty hard to run windows, osx or linux without
>a hard drive.

I've done Linux over AoE, that was flawless once working. Lack of AoE
aware installers made it interesting.

Plan9 is a fiddle too

I didn't try the MacOSX or Windows AoE initiators.

You need plenty of Foo to do any of them tbh.

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-26 23:33         ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-26 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
> Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) wrote:
> >>linux is actually quite easy and has been for about 12 years or more
> >>... not sure of the others.
> >
> >I was running diskless Windows in 1995; it wasn't pretty, but it could
> >be done.  These days you can run XP+ diskless if you have the right
> >Windows Server and installation tools fu.
> >

> Don't get me started on diode plugboard 'ROM', mercury or nickel-iron delay
> lines and 'upgrading' to mag drum memory now...

This is one of the days when this list feels like an veteran meeting ;-)
I'm probably one of the youngest here, i didn't have the honour to do
my first steps on punchtapes ;-o

@ 2009-11-27  5:31           ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-11-27  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
>>> I was running diskless Windows in 1995; it wasn't pretty, but it could
>>> be done.  These days you can run XP+ diskless if you have the right
>>> Windows Server and installation tools fu.
>>>

>> Don't get me started on diode plugboard 'ROM', mercury or nickel-iron delay
>> lines and 'upgrading' to mag drum memory now...
>
> This is one of the days when this list feels like an veteran meeting ;-)
> I'm probably one of the youngest here, i didn't have the honour to do
> my first steps on punchtapes ;-o
>

> cu

Heh!

If you'd ever dropped a deck of punched *cards* you'd have thought paper tape
was a huge advance, and more durable mylar even more so....

;-)

Wasn't all that slow, either. Mannesman-Tally punched it at 300 cps and upwards,
many optical readers read it back at over 1,000 cps.

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-28 13:33     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-11-28 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 26 Nov 2009, at 8:53 pm, ron minnich wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:36 PM, erik quanstrom
> <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>
>> it is pretty hard to run windows, osx or linux without
>> a hard drive.
>
> linux is actually quite easy and has been for about 12 years or more
> ... not sure of the others.

It's certainly possible to run OS X diskless, and knowing Apple it'll
take less setting up than Linux. ;)

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-28 14:28       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2009-11-28 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's also very easy to run my toaster diskless. Does this say anything
about it's elegance or simplicity? I don't remember what my toaster
has to do with 9p, but nevermind.

@ 2009-11-28 15:42         ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-11-28 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 28 Nov 2009, at 2:28 pm, hiro wrote:

> It's also very easy to run my toaster diskless. Does this say anything
> about it's elegance or simplicity? I don't remember what my toaster
> has to do with 9p, but nevermind.

And somebody always mentions toasters! Or coffee machines... :D

Actually, yes it does say a lot about a toaster's elegant simplicity:
a toaster only has parts to do the job intended. At a minimum a
switched heater, a sprung sliding bread carrier which also switches
the heater, and a thermally-releasing latch for the slider. I have
seen a toaster without even that much complexity; it had glass sides
so you could see when your toast was done how you like it.

Actually there is a link here. Things to share are increasingly
bloated, and applications strangely seem to need access to every
feature of the shared entity. 9p could perhaps help by presenting a
device model with files for different capabilities, or something like
that, but it is only half a solution. OTOH perhaps the need to access
device features is not really strange. Requiring a whole postscript
interpreter on your printer could be seen as just as strange, it was
certainly very expensive to do a few years ago.

@ 2009-11-28 19:17           ` Jorden Mauro
From: Jorden Mauro @ 2009-11-28 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2009, at 2:28 pm, hiro wrote:
>
>> It's also very easy to run my toaster diskless. Does this say anything
>> about it's elegance or simplicity? I don't remember what my toaster
>> has to do with 9p, but nevermind.
>
> And somebody always mentions toasters! Or coffee machines... :D
>
> Actually, yes it does say a lot about a toaster's elegant simplicity: a
> toaster only has parts to do the job intended. At a minimum a switched
> heater, a sprung sliding bread carrier which also switches the heater, and a
> thermally-releasing latch for the slider. I have seen a toaster without even
> that much complexity; it had glass sides so you could see when your toast
> was done how you like it.

There is a toaster that burns a picture of a raincloud, sun,
snowflake, etc. depending
on the morning's forecast. There is also a coffee pot you can control
via ethernet.

The coffee pot runs windows and there is a virus that causes Coffee
Denial of Service
on it.

@ 2010-01-05 11:49         ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-01-05 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
> It's also very easy to run my toaster diskless.

hmm, I think the Toasters work w/ SSDs or maybe some kind of
nano corememory, at least the mechanical ones. This could also
their extreme suspectibility to certain radiations. But no idea
what causes that effect on the humanoid ones ... ;-o

@ 2010-01-05 11:52             ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-01-05 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Jorden Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com> wrote:

> The coffee pot runs windows and there is a virus that causes Coffee
> Denial of Service on it.

That, of course, would be the very most worstcase that can ever happen ;-)

@ 2010-01-08  5:29                 ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2010-01-08  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2010, at 6:52 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
>
>  * Jorden Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  The coffee pot runs windows and there is a virus that causes Coffee
>>> Denial of Service on it.
>>>

>> That, of course, would be the very most worstcase that can ever happen ;-)
>>

> I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to put an 80x86 in a coffee machine.
> Yes you could run WinCE, but without the 80x86 your not going to suffer from
> the hoards of virus's.
>
> I'd like to see the day someone gets Linux or NetBSD booting on a coffee
> machine.

Toasters are at least finished...

http://netbsd.org/gallery/in-Action/riz-toaster.jpg

>> cu
>> --
>> Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
>>
>> phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
>> mobile: +49 174 7066481   icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666
>> Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme

And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.
 -- Ovid

   "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the
joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

   "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

   "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
-- Heraclitus

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2010-01-08 14:44               ` Patrick Kelly
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-01-08 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2010-01-08 15:29                   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-01-08 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

They are running apache on a toaster? My goodness.

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2010-01-08 15:52                     ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-01-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 8, 2010, at 10:29 AM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:

> They are running apache on a toaster? My goodness.

Way too powerfull of a toaster.
Overkill ftw!

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2010-01-08 15:55                   ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-01-08 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 8, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Jorden Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> That, of course, would be the very most worstcase that can ever
>>> happen ;-)
>>
>> I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to put an 80x86 in a coffee
>> machine.
>> Yes you could run WinCE, but without the 80x86 your not going to
>> suffer from
>> the hoards of virus's.
>
> You have too much faith in humanity. It runs on a Via x86 clone:
Yes I do... *cringes in fear*

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/jan09/01-09cesfugoo.mspx
>
> The article doesn't mention which flavor of Windows, but I don't think
> WinCE runs on x86, does it?
Not sure, it might though.

@ 2010-01-08 16:08                 ` Jorden Mauro
From: Jorden Mauro @ 2010-01-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2010, at 6:52 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
>
>> * Jorden Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The coffee pot runs windows and there is a virus that causes Coffee
>>> Denial of Service on it.
>>
>> That, of course, would be the very most worstcase that can ever happen ;-)
>
> I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to put an 80x86 in a coffee machine.
> Yes you could run WinCE, but without the 80x86 your not going to suffer from
> the hoards of virus's.

You have too much faith in humanity. It runs on a Via x86 clone:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/jan09/01-09cesfugoo.mspx

The article doesn't mention which flavor of Windows, but I don't think
WinCE runs on x86, does it?

> I'd like to see the day someone gets Linux or NetBSD booting on a coffee
> machine.

Seconded.

@ 2010-01-08 19:36                     ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2010-01-08 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> They are running apache on a toaster? My goodness.

http://funnies.paco.to/softEng.html    :)

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2010-01-08 20:03                       ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-01-08 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 8, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Taj Khattra wrote:

>> They are running apache on a toaster? My goodness.

Once upon a time we crammed a PPC board into a stainless steal toaster as a demo platform with the LCD popping out of the slot like a piece of toast.  I thought i had pictures, but can't for the life of me find them.

           -eric

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2010-01-08 21:05                       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-01-08 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I once used a microwave designed that way. Couldn't find the meal on
the list and had to manually set time and power with 3 digital buttons
:(
It looked nice though. It was painted whine red with black/dark-brown
shades just like my eyes.

@ 2010-01-13 16:36                 ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-01-13 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@gmail.com> wrote:

> I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to put an 80x86 in a
> coffee machine.

Why not ?

About a year ago I've built an alternative firmware for some tiny
WLAN router which was based on an i386 clone SoC (IIRC made by TI).

Old-fashioned x86 isnt so bad for embedded as some might think.
If you don't need high data rates (and things like PCI), it's
relatively easy to build a board manually ;-)

@ 2010-01-13 16:41             ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2010-01-13 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:

> If you'd ever dropped a deck of punched *cards* you'd have thought paper
> tape was a huge advance, and more durable mylar even more so....

Actually, back when I was a little boy, I played a bit w/ some
learning toolkit which had spunchcards, for simple things like
switching signalling lights, etc (and yes: I managed to build
an optical reader, yeah :)). But I wouldn't consider this as
"computing" yet ;-o

@ 2009-12-09 23:18 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-12-09 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: nemo

> we found it's a lot easier doing it like
> in the octopus. we'll be happy to
> discuss any of it.

Did you find 9p adequate for the resource sharing you
did or did you have to alter the protocol or augment it
with other protocols?

Did you use the normal plan9 authentication mechanisms or
did you explore other authentication alternatives?  Were
all machines in a shared authentication domain or did you
support multiple authentication domains?

What did you do about machine or resource discovery?
Is there a mechanism to discover when machines or resources
are added or removed from the network?

What papers do you recommend looking at?

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-28 12:51       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2009-11-28 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 26 Nov 2009, at 9:18 pm, W B Hacker wrote:

> Tim Newsham wrote:
>>> or the cannonical example, a hard drive.
>> I intentionally avoided this one because two things that modern
>> OSs do know how to share (at least a little) are:
>>   - filesystems
>>   - printers
>> Its just all the other stuff that they haven bothered to tackle
>> yet, except in very specific applications (ie. remote desktop
>> access).
>>> - erik
>> Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com
>
> Actually, they have ...
>
> 'Big iron' quite aside [1], it was common (at least) as far back as
> CP/M 2.X to share peripherals such as prom-blasters, text-to-speech
> gear, terminals, serial and parallel ports across multiple
> machines. Not everything needed was in the as-shipped 'OS', but it
> was not hard to code the rest.
>
> By the time Netware, IBM OS/2 (and perhaps Win-?? - not my area of
> expertise) came along it was tick-the-box easier to share, for
> example, a modem or scanner, just as easily as a printer or storage
> device. IOW - streaming 'near real time' devices as well as spooled
> or (actual) file-based services.
>
> Plan9 didn't 'invent' any of this.
>
> Plan9 just prioritized it and provided a more appropriate
> infrastructure and toolset to make for easier and more ubiquitous
> use of it all.
>
> That one or more folks are now seeing a need to reinvent that
> particular set of wheels is curious, as it never actually went away
> - Plan9 or otherwise.

I think this sharing dropped off drastically at some point in fairly
recent history. I took a look at Apple's list of services and devices
which can be shared with a checkbox or two; it really was a much
shorter list than I thought, and I'm sure the most convenient Linux
distro has a couple less items again.

Windows I'm not so sure about, but I don't think you have to go back
many years to find the time when Windows 98 was the most common
Windows, and what did that offer to share? Printers and files only,
if I remember right.

       [not found] <<4B101734.7060102@maht0x0r.net>
@ 2009-11-27 18:50 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-27 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >i wasn't talking about aoe.  but since you are, what
> >exactly is difficult about the plan 9 aoe driver?
> >
> >- erik
> >

> the installer, or was last time I looked, I did try to make one but got
> so far and decided on a "better way" which is on my large pile of todo.
> I made a "install to this drive" script that did away with the installer
> completely but I haven't tested it much yet.

good point.  i'll take a look at that.  installing isn't
something i typically do.  let alone onto aoe.
really just need to add a configure drive step.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9p resource sharing [was: Scanners]
@ 2009-11-27 18:15   ` matt
From: matt @ 2009-11-27 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-11-27  5:30       ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-27  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
> >>I've been playing around with sound a lot as a starting point
> >>but I am hoping to move on to other devices soon.
> >
> >Great! Do you have any (maybe usable) code yet ?
>
> I have lots of code, but its unpublished proprietary at
> this point (aside from the bits that I've released on this
> mailing list).

maybe you could put it into an git repo and publish it ?

@ 2009-11-27  4:36     ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-11-27  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] <<4B0F0F25.7020506@maht0x0r.net>
@ 2009-11-27  2:21 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-27  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-11-26 23:39   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-11-26 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:

Hi,

> I personally would like to see a lot more in the way of remote
> resource access using 9p and I'm working towards that by writing
> software for windows, linux and android.

actually, that's also my primary focus here. Not the OS itself,
but carry the amazing concepts to other worlds.

@ 2009-11-26 21:18     ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-11-26 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-11-26 20:39 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-11-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-11-26 20:35   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-11-26 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-11-26 20:33   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-11-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] <<Pine.BSI.4.64.0911261017560.13404@malasada.lava.net>
@ 2009-11-26 20:25 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-26 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-11-26 20:23 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-11-26 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> it isn't plumbing, but export/import, and it's useful.
> i had a usable sound system on my r3000 indigo, but my PC had none.
> on the pc, i imported the indigo's /dev and played sounds that way.
> i could imagine uses even a continent away (alarm system imports remote
> /dev and announces trouble). next door might be more useful.

I personally would like to see a lot more in the way of remote
resource access using 9p and I'm working towards that by writing
software for windows, linux and android.  Its a slightly different
use case than typical plan9 setup: ie my terminal has some
devices and I push them to a cpu server so programs run there
can access local resources.  Instead you have resources on several
machines that you own (and who doesnt own several machines these
days, heck even my non-tech relatives do) and you import them
to use them as necessary.  I've been playing around with sound
a lot as a starting point but I am hoping to move on to other
devices soon.  In my current prototypes I can import sound devices
from (android, windows, linux oss) onto another (android, windows,
linux oss) machine and either replace the current audio subsystem
or offer the remote audio as an additional audio device.