* [9fans] Printing to PS printer - solution
@ 2010-02-07 16:56 Wolfgang Kunz
From: Wolfgang Kunz @ 2010-02-07 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

here are my notes on how I got my postscript printer working:

Printer: OKI B430dn (Network printer)

Working printing configuration:

1. Add printer to /lib/ndb/local
sys=okidr ip=192.168.2.191

okidr=Name for the printer
ip= IP Address of the printer

check with: ip/ping okidr

2. Add printer entry to /sys/lib/lp/devices
oki2    office    okidr    raw    - post2+600dpi+nohead    generic
  lpdspool    lpd    -    -    FIFO

3. Check
lp -q -doki2 (this works only as user bootes on my system)

It should show you:
transmission log:
: 100.00% sent
9232 bytes sent, status: waiting for end of job
9232 bytes sent, status: end of job

printer queue:
connecting to tcp!okidr!printer
 trying from port 721...connected
Ready
no entires

4. Print Postscript files:

lp -doki2 test.ps

Regadrs,
Wolfgang

* Re: [9fans] Printing to PS printer - solution
@ 2010-08-12 12:44 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-08-12 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7 February 2010 18:56, Wolfgang Kunz <woku@hush.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here are my notes on how I got my postscript printer working:
>
> Printer: OKI B430dn (Network printer)
>
> Working printing configuration:
>
> 1. Add printer to /lib/ndb/local
> sys=okidr ip=192.168.2.191
>
> okidr=Name for the printer
> ip= IP Address of the printer
>
> check with: ip/ping okidr
>
> 2. Add printer entry to /sys/lib/lp/devices
> oki2    office    okidr    raw    - post2+600dpi+nohead    generic
>  lpdspool    lpd    -    -    FIFO
>
> 3. Check
> lp -q -doki2 (this works only as user bootes on my system)
>
> It should show you:
> transmission log:
> : 100.00% sent
> 9232 bytes sent, status: waiting for end of job
> 9232 bytes sent, status: end of job
>
> printer queue:
> connecting to tcp!okidr!printer
>  trying from port 721...connected
> Ready
> no entires
>
> 4. Print Postscript files:
>
> lp -doki2 test.ps
>

> Regadrs,
> Wolfgang

Thanks a lot for this!
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] Printing to PS printer - solution
@ 2010-08-15 15:39 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-08-15 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Following the instructions I am able to print from my plan 9 machine
on a network printer Oki 5900dn. The problem left, however, is that it
doesn't print duplex, though it could (and does from linux). I tried
to add +duplex into the relevant field in the /sys/lib/devices file,
but that lead to no change. I tried to add the on-line option
-iduplex, again no change (still prints simplex) but adds the message
"illegal option '-i duplex' ignored".

Can anybody help? Why do I need a spooler for a network printer?
What's the difference between lpdspool/generic/nospool/...

[my line in the devices file now reads:
okipr next_door oki raw - post2+600dpi+nohead+duplex generic lpdspool
lpd - - FIFO

Thanks
Ruda