From: Corey <corey@bitworthy.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] plan9 kernel on genode?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:24:55 -0700	[thread overview]

Anyone been watching the genode os framework? ()

It already supports Linux, NOVA, Codezero, L4/Fiasco, L4ka::Pistachio and
OKL4 as base platforms/kernels - I don't know (as I'm sure I'm not qualified
to make an assessment), but intuition tells me there might be some interesting
possibilities were the plan9 kernel to become supported as well.

http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/10.02

"
So why do we address so many different kernels instead of focusing our efforts
to one selected platform? Our observation is that different applications pose
different requirements on the kernel. Most kernels have a specific profile
with regard to security, hardware support, complexity, scheduling, resource
management, and licensing that may make them fit well for one application area
but not perfectly suited for a different use case. There is no single perfect
kernel and there doesn't need to be one. By using Genode, applications
developed for one kernel can be ported to all the other supported platforms
with a simple recompile. We believe that making Genode available on a new
kernel is beneficial for the kernel developers, application developers, and
users alike. For kernel developers, Genode brings additional workloads to
stress-test their kernel, and it extends the application area of the kernel.
Application developers can address several kernel platforms at once instead of
tying their programs to one particular platform. Finally, users and system
integrators can pick their kernel of choice for the problem at hand.
Broadening the platform support for Genode helps to make the framework more
relevant.
"