* [9fans] P9P for Windows?
@ 2010-04-06 21:07 Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2010-04-06 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello!

has porting Plan9 from User Space to MS-Windows (and Windows CE) with
the help
of pthreads-win32 [1] already be considered?

Would the drawing routines of drawterm for Windows complement for the
GUI-side of things?

Opinions?  Other approaches?  Effort estimates?

I will be able to throw some time at work on creating either a posix
layer or
alternatively port Plan9's libc and rc to Windows CE in the next half year.

Regards,

    Georg Lehner

[1] http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/

* Re: [9fans] P9P for Windows?
@ 2010-04-06 22:18 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2010-04-06 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

don't know about pthreads, but there's a windows Plan 9 port
effort going one http://ib.wmipf.de/pf9/ with set of working tools
including sam

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] P9P for Windows?
@ 2010-04-07 18:41 ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 17:07:51 Georg Lehner wrote:
> Hello!
>
> has porting Plan9 from User Space to MS-Windows (and Windows CE) with
> the help
> of pthreads-win32 [1] already be considered?
>
> Would the drawing routines of drawterm for Windows complement for the
> GUI-side of things?
>
> Opinions?  Other approaches?  Effort estimates?
>
> I will be able to throw some time at work on creating either a posix
> layer or
> alternatively port Plan9's libc and rc to Windows CE in the next half year.

May be I misunderstood, but theres no need for another Posix layer ontop of
windows. Theres already Interix, MingW, and Cygwin.

@ 2010-04-07 21:05   ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2010-04-07 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Patrick Kelly wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 April 2010 17:07:51 Georg Lehner wrote:

>> I will be able to throw some time at work on creating either a posix
>> layer or
>> alternatively port Plan9's libc and rc to Windows CE in the next half year.
>>

> May be I misunderstood, but theres no need for another Posix layer ontop of
> windows. Theres already Interix, MingW, and Cygwin.

Maybe you overlooked the "CE" part.  My target is Windows Embedded CE,
primarily for ARM platforms.

MingW has some possibility to cross-compile for this target.  Last time
i looked at
it i thought it would be too much hassle.

Interix and Cygwin ... don't know about possible cross compiling
posibilities.

Regards,

    Jorge-Le�n

* Re: [9fans] P9P for Windows?
@ 2010-04-07 21:16     ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-07 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wednesday 07 April 2010 17:05:42 Georg Lehner wrote:
> Patrick Kelly wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 April 2010 17:07:51 Georg Lehner wrote:
> >>
> >> I will be able to throw some time at work on creating either a posix
> >> layer or
> >> alternatively port Plan9's libc and rc to Windows CE in the next half
> >> year.
> >
> > May be I misunderstood, but theres no need for another Posix layer ontop
> > of windows. Theres already Interix, MingW, and Cygwin.
>
> Maybe you overlooked the "CE" part.  My target is Windows Embedded CE,
> primarily for ARM platforms.

Terribly sorry

> MingW has some possibility to cross-compile for this target.  Last time
> i looked at
> it i thought it would be too much hassle.

Window's dosen't have the best POSIX support. If your going to do this, I
wouldn't recomment using a POSIX layer.

> Interix and Cygwin ... don't know about possible cross compiling
> posibilities.

Interix isn't supported on CE, like you mentioned, but it's a very effective
subsystem. I prefer it over MinGW or Cygwin. As far as I know, Cygwin doesn't,
but don't hold me to that, I've rarely used it.