From: Tully Gray <tullygray@arc.net.au>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] tun/tap support for 9vx
Date: Sat,  8 May 2010 04:47:24 +1000	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 02:04:47PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > 2010/5/7 Tully Gray <tullygray@arc.net.au>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have modified Erik Quanstrom's raw socket ethernet driver
> > > for 9vx so that it uses the Linux kernel's "tap" device.
> > > It seems to work just fine. I create the tap device first
> > > using "tunctl" which comes with the Usermode Linux toolkit
> > > but I don't think this is necessary.
> >
> > Thanks for this. My summer of code student will be working on wrapping
> > up some of this so that it's a bit nicer and more portable, and this
> > is a good start.
>
> interesting.  what's the advantage of the tap device?
> is the code available online?
>
> - erik

Hi,

originally I was using your driver and attaching it to either
eth0 or the bridge I have, br0. I was getting problems with
ARP, 9vx could see the traffic but the host could not see the
guest. Also 9vx would eventually crash due to freeing memory
that was in use. Is the raw socket driver meant to be attached
to a unused device? Both eth0 and br0 were being used by the
host system.

Tully Gray.

ps: I got the code to setup the tap device from http://vtun.sourceforge.net/