* [9fans] [frank@inua.be: Re:  no frame buffer]
@ 2010-05-26 16:32 frank
From: frank @ 2010-05-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't see a follow-up on this topic... I hope someone still has an
idea.

----- Forwarded message from frank@inua.be -----

From: frank@inua.be
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] no frame buffer
	<mailto:9fans-request@9fans.net?subject=subscribe>

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:00:14AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> Is it possible to limit the frame rate aux/vga sets? The reason I'm
> asking is:

No idea.

>> Whatever I use for monitor (vesa, vga) or vgasize, the
>> screen just turns black and the led of the monitor is blinking.
>
> I've had quite a lot of CRT monitors in the past. Many of them were
> detected as being more capable than they really were, so X would set the
> frame rate too high. A black screen with blinking led was a common
> symptom of that.

The same box with the same CRT runs X in 1280x1024x16 (didn't try
1600x1200).

Regarding Plan 9, I also tested it with:

- a plain old VGA monitor: just a blank screen
- a flat panel (vga connector): blank screen, "no signal"

Can it be that this is a driver issue?

I already tried to get more information using the -v and -V options of
aux/vga. With -m vesa, I always got the following, no matter what
resolution I asked:

main->snarf
vesa->snarf
vmf 100 vmdf 0 vf1 0 vbw 0
main->load
+vgactlw type vesa
-vgactlw type vesa

I also thought that I might get around it by using a specific
bios-string (-b option to aux/vga) but I don't know what I could
possibly use.

What can I do to debug this further?

Kind regards,

--