From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] 9vx/vx32 - Out of ignorance
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:17:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Besides the issue of (not) understanding TAP and so having no access to
networking, what struck me while experimenting with a very remarkable 9vx
installation (9vx is impressive, not my installation thereof :-) was that
if you start it as root, you retain root credentials within the sandbox,
irrespective of user selection at start up of 9vx.  Given that 9vx seems
pretty comfortable as an arbitrary user, would it make sense for me to
find a location where a switch to the specified user can take place?

Admittedly, that does not correspond to the Plan 9 model where Eve has
unrestricted access to devices, but in a hosted environment that can be
excused (and documented).  My thinking is that 9vx could start up as root
to install the TAP device (nothing else so far has alerted me to a need
for root permissions), then switch user to the selected one (if it exists,
"nobody" may be needed if there is no equivalent in the host repertoire)
once setting up is complete.

Back to the question, then: is there any reason why I should not be
looking into doing this?

Another thought that struck me, in passing, is whether the TAP device
should be set up in vx32 rather than in 9vx.  I am not familiar with
the boundary between these, so the question may seem silly to others,
to me the logic seems a bit strained right now.

And if anybody can arrange a short lesson on using networking under 9vx,
that would also be greatly appreciated.

++L