From: Bakul Shah <bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] ape sockets and plan9
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:39:37 -0800	[thread overview]

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:41:09 EST "Devon H. O'Dell" <devon.odell@gmail.com>  wrote:
> 2010/12/28 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:

> > that's wrong. 9vx can accept connections.

The original didn't. The version @ hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu
still doesn't.  If you use Ron's repo you don't get the ether
device by default.

It is confusing to have different versions sharing the same
name.  It would be better if this branch of 9vx is either
renamed or merged with Russ's.

> > devon o'dell and i did this. this gives 9vx a full networking
> > stack, but it generally requires running as root.
>
> yiyus extended this functionality as part of his SoC project last year
> and it's working quite nicely and cross-platform. I'm pretty sure the
> code is available in both his and Ron's hg repos of 9vx.

Are there instructions on how to use this?  9vx/README (the
closest thing to a 9vx manpage) doesn't mention or describe
how to use the new options.

Original:
usage: 9vx [-gt] [-r root] [-u user]

yiyus:
usage: 9vx [-gt] [-f inifile | inifields ... ] [-i initarg] [-r localroot] [-u user]

Most people would need additional instructions on how to set
things up on their host machine to use this feature.