* [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 12:56 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-06-02 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik, I tried sending this privately but your mailer timed out:
<quanstro@quanstro.net>: conversation with mail.quanstro.net[69.55.170.73]
    timed out while sending DATA command

message>>

hi erik, i tried to install nupas with contrib today and it failed.
my root is from a fairly recent labs iso and, well, you can see the
source of the problem in the file dates:

kolari% ls -lp /386/bin/upas/fs
--rwxrwxr-x M 8 glenda adm 345302 Apr  7 20:32 fs
kolari% ls -lp /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/386/bin/upas/fs
--rwxrwxr-x M 63 quanstro sys 400215 Jan  5 13:55 fs

most of the nupas files; source, binary and other, failed to install
with the message "locally created; will not update". i guess you need
to touch nupas files and rebuild the package.

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 13:27 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-06-02 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> hi erik, i tried to install nupas with contrib today and it failed.
> my root is from a fairly recent labs iso and, well, you can see the
> source of the problem in the file dates:
>
> kolari% ls -lp /386/bin/upas/fs
> --rwxrwxr-x M 8 glenda adm 345302 Apr  7 20:32 fs
> kolari% ls -lp /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/386/bin/upas/fs
> --rwxrwxr-x M 63 quanstro sys 400215 Jan  5 13:55 fs
>
> most of the nupas files; source, binary and other, failed to install
> with the message "locally created; will not update". i guess you need
> to touch nupas files and rebuild the package.

i'd suggest moving /386/bin/upas and /sys/src/cmd/upas out of the way and trying
again.  there will still be some conflicts in /mail/lib, but those should be managable.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 13:57   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-06-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Jun  2 09:28:49 EDT 2011, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> > hi erik, i tried to install nupas with contrib today and it failed.
> > my root is from a fairly recent labs iso and, well, you can see the
> > source of the problem in the file dates:
> >
> > kolari% ls -lp /386/bin/upas/fs
> > --rwxrwxr-x M 8 glenda adm 345302 Apr  7 20:32 fs
> > kolari% ls -lp /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/386/bin/upas/fs
> > --rwxrwxr-x M 63 quanstro sys 400215 Jan  5 13:55 fs
> >
> > most of the nupas files; source, binary and other, failed to install
> > with the message "locally created; will not update". i guess you need
> > to touch nupas files and rebuild the package.
>
> i'd suggest moving /386/bin/upas and /sys/src/cmd/upas out of the way and trying
> again.  there will still be some conflicts in /mail/lib, but those should be managable.

to clarify, sources can be rebuilt at any time so touching
files and pushing the contrib package will only serve to
obfuscate when the files were actually last changed.  it won't
prevent the nupas contrib package from "breaking" again.

sorry for the inconvienence.  i don't know of a better way.
it would be nice if applylog had an option to always resolve
conflicts in favor of the server.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 16:40   ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2011-06-02 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

contrib(1) should have a way to pass -s to replica/pull

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 16:48     ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2011-06-02 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

contrib/pull does

On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Yaroslav wrote:

> contrib(1) should have a way to pass -s to replica/pull

---
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 17:17       ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2011-06-02 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

apparently contrib/install needs too...

--
- Yaroslav

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 17:26     ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-06-02 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:57:54 -0400
erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:

> On Thu Jun  2 09:28:49 EDT 2011, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> > > hi erik, i tried to install nupas with contrib today and it failed.
> > > my root is from a fairly recent labs iso and, well, you can see the
> > > source of the problem in the file dates:
> > >
> > > kolari% ls -lp /386/bin/upas/fs
> > > --rwxrwxr-x M 8 glenda adm 345302 Apr  7 20:32 fs
> > > kolari% ls -lp /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/386/bin/upas/fs
> > > --rwxrwxr-x M 63 quanstro sys 400215 Jan  5 13:55 fs
> > >
> > > most of the nupas files; source, binary and other, failed to install
> > > with the message "locally created; will not update". i guess you need
> > > to touch nupas files and rebuild the package.
> >
> > i'd suggest moving /386/bin/upas and /sys/src/cmd/upas out of the way and trying
> > again.  there will still be some conflicts in /mail/lib, but those should be managable.
>
> to clarify, sources can be rebuilt at any time so touching
> files and pushing the contrib package will only serve to
> obfuscate when the files were actually last changed.  it won't
> prevent the nupas contrib package from "breaking" again.

True that. I thought of suggesting a cron job to poll sources & rebuild when necessary, but it still obfuscates what changed and that doesn't feel right.

> sorry for the inconvienence.  i don't know of a better way.
> it would be nice if applylog had an option to always resolve
> conflicts in favor of the server.

It would indeed. I looked at the -s option as per fgb's mail, but -s requires a filename implying each and every file needs to be specified I thought "blow this for a game of soldiers."

Anyway, a little naivety has caused me more problems but I won't go into details. If I just grab the nupas source and mk install, will the end result be sane?

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 17:28       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-06-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:48:28 -0300
"Federico G. Benavento" <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:

> contrib/pull does
>
> On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Yaroslav wrote:
>
> > contrib(1) should have a way to pass -s to replica/pull

When most of the files in a package the size of nupas fail to install, a -s option isn't much of a solution. ;)

* Re: [9fans] nupas contrib needs rebuilding
@ 2011-06-02 17:36       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-06-02 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyway, a little naivety has caused me more problems but I won't go
> into details.  If I just grab the nupas source and mk install, will
> the end result be sane?

yes.  but be careful, i'm pretty sure nupas depends on some changes
in /mail/lib.  why don't you do something like this

do one install to make sure missing directories are there.  ignore errors.
then

db =  /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/replica/nupas/db
args = `{cat $db | awk 'int($3/10000000000) != 2 {print "-s " $1}' }
replica/pull $args nupas

- erik