From: Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To: fernanbolando@mailc.net,
	Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9atom & virtualbox 4.0.10 networking issue
Date: Thu,  7 Jul 2011 23:19:22 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:10:49 +0800 Fernan Bolando <fernanbolando@mailc.net>  wrote:

> This allows the host to drawterm to the virtual machine. I failed to
> get it to work as NAT or Bridge. Running the nic as host only is ok if
> you just want to run plan9 without internet access.
>
> I hope you get NAT or host running. It would  be nice.

With Erik's help I tried various things. As per his suggestion
hardwiring igbe's irq to 9 made networking work (adding
    ether0=type=igbe irq=9
didn't work).  While he was trying to figure out the irq
problem, I accidentally stumbled upon the "right" solution.
The key is to enable USB 2.0. But the open source version of
virtual box doesn't have builtin support for usb 2. For that
You have install their extension pack.

Fetch it from
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.10/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.10-72436.vbox-extpack

Then from cmd line:

VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.10-72436.vbox-extpack

Now enable the USB2.0 controller.

To summarize:
- Make sure you use the current 9atom.iso.bz2 from Erik's ftp site.
- Use chipset piix3, ide piix4. Enable IO Apic (else things get slow)
- Enable USB controller and USB 2.0 controller. (should be the default)
- connect to `bridged adapter', emulate Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM).

NAT may work too but I haven't tried it.

If you have a working image except for networking, just change
the USB setting!

Thanks to Erik for all his help.