* [9fans] Petition for Google to install awesome 9grid for Rob+RSC
@ 2013-03-17 11:21 mycroftiv
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: mycroftiv @ 2013-03-17 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You have no obligations at work to meet - that's the difference. They
> can't just do what they please and get paid. I know that things were
> different at Bell Labs but they are working for Google now.

I had thought Google was supposed to be a halfway decent place to work.

You create the Plan 9 operating system, the best in the entire universe,
and Google hires you, and they won't even give you a decent installation
of the OS you created?

GOOGLE YOU SUCK!

Seriously.

If Google was half as smart as people say they are, they would have a big
Plan 9 installation to develop ideas on, and they would share a lot of
Plan 9 improvements with the world because Plan 9 is the antidote to
the total crappiness of everything else, in comparison.

GIVE THE PLAN 9 GUYS ALL THE PLAN 9 THEY WANT GOOGLE!!!!!

Ben Kidwell
"mycroftiv"

* Re: [9fans] Petition for Google to install awesome 9grid for Rob+RSC
@ 2013-03-17 11:32 ` vvs009
From: vvs009 @ 2013-03-17 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> GIVE THE PLAN 9 GUYS ALL THE PLAN 9 THEY WANT GOOGLE!!!!!

I think this won't work :) I didn't mean that they forbid to use Plan
9 at work. They just have a different corporate culture. They can't
change the attitude of other people at Google just to make few people
happy.

* Re: [9fans] Petition for Google to install awesome 9grid for Rob+RSC
@ 2013-03-17 16:02   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2013-03-17 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

if they really want plan9 they can still use it, they don't need help
installing it on their own.

* Re: [9fans] Petition for Google to install awesome 9grid for Rob+RSC
@ 2013-03-17 21:52 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-03-17 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:21:39AM +0000, mycroftiv@sphericalharmony.com wrote:

> GIVE THE PLAN 9 GUYS ALL THE PLAN 9 THEY WANT GOOGLE!!!!!

They did.  Now they all use macs.  By installing Acme on OS X, they get
all the nerd cred they need to win pointless pissing matches, but they
finally, after decades of trying, managed to escape the need to know or
even vaguely understand how their computers work.  Most of these people
haven't touched an actual plan 9 system since their paychecks started
coming from ad surveillance.  Don't weep for them; the only interaction
with plan 9 left for them is in posting to mailing lists about how much
better the bell labs network was than anything anyone else builds.

khm

* Re: [9fans] Petition for Google to install awesome
@ 2013-03-18 10:08 ` Balwinder S Dheeman
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2013-03-18 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 03/17/2013 04:51 PM, mycroftiv@sphericalharmony.com wrote:
>> You have no obligations at work to meet - that's the difference. They
>> can't just do what they please and get paid. I know that things were
>> different at Bell Labs but they are working for Google now.
>
> I had thought Google was supposed to be a halfway decent place to work.
>
> You create the Plan 9 operating system, the best in the entire universe,
> and Google hires you, and they won't even give you a decent installation
> of the OS you created?
>
> GOOGLE YOU SUCK!
>
> Seriously.
>
> If Google was half as smart as people say they are, they would have a big
> Plan 9 installation to develop ideas on, and they would share a lot of
> Plan 9 improvements with the world because Plan 9 is the antidote to
> the total crappiness of everything else, in comparison.
>
> GIVE THE PLAN 9 GUYS ALL THE PLAN 9 THEY WANT GOOGLE!!!!!

Sorry, friend; are not you expecting milk from a Bull; indeed? They are
no different; just compare them with IBM as per your points of view :(

BTW, Why they, the Google, did not choose Plan 9 for their smart-phone
project; I don't know whether the internal or seasoned Plan 9 or Inferno
engineers were consulted or not. Hence, am leaving that for the
competent 9fans :P

Please don't waste your time here; IMHO, you can/must just create a
*Killroid* prototype and just show the same working on your phone to
other open phone manufactures, amateurs and, or volunteers engineers;
whenever you visit tech shows and comfortably answer their queries, just
note down the question which are unable answer; rest, you already know ...

One again, I request to cool down for while; and put your energy into
development; keep in mind you are 40+ and I need not say that the time
is precious.

--
Balwinder S 'bdheeman' Dheeman
(http://werc.homelinux.net/contact/)

"No body can stop you, if you acquire a power to turn the Earth"