* [9fans] Scheme
@ 2013-03-18 18:27 Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-03-18 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Can we get back to plan9?

I've updated my bitbucket repo of s9fes Scheme to its author's latest version. s9, the scheme interpreter, works fine but bundled scheme programs don't yet work due to their unix dependencies. The low level p9 interface is the same as before. I have tested it on x86 and arm. If anyone is interested in scheme hacking, there are some fun little projects: a GUI library, a library to build scheme based file servers, etc. A bigger project is to add a proper code generator.

Chibi scheme also works on p9 but it is a moving target and it has more unix & shared lib dependencies. And I haven't ported my p9 support to it.

* Re: [9fans] Scheme
@ 2013-03-18 21:44 ` Matthew Veety
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-03-18 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mar 18, 2013, at 14:27, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> Can we get back to plan9?
>
> I've updated my bitbucket repo of s9fes Scheme to its author's latest version. s9, the scheme interpreter, works fine but bundled scheme programs don't yet work due to their unix dependencies. The low level p9 interface is the same as before. I have tested it on x86 and arm. If anyone is interested in scheme hacking, there are some fun little projects: a GUI library, a library to build scheme based file servers, etc. A bigger project is to add a proper code generator.
>
> Chibi scheme also works on p9 but it is a moving target and it has more unix & shared lib dependencies. And I haven't ported my p9 support to it.

I'm very interested in this. Do you have a link to your bitbucket?

* Re: [9fans] Scheme
@ 2013-03-18 21:58   ` Laurent Malvert
From: Laurent Malvert @ 2013-03-18 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2013, at 14:27, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> wrote:
>
>> Can we get back to plan9?

Yes, please.

>> I've updated my bitbucket repo of s9fes Scheme to its author's latest version. s9, the scheme interpreter, works fine but bundled scheme programs don't yet work due to their unix dependencies. The low level p9 interface is the same as before. I have tested it on x86 and arm. If anyone is interested in scheme hacking, there are some fun little projects: a GUI library, a library to build scheme based file servers, etc. A bigger project is to add a proper code generator.
>>
>> Chibi scheme also works on p9 but it is a moving target and it has more unix & shared lib dependencies. And I haven't ported my p9 support to it.
>
> I'm very interested in this. Do you have a link to your bitbucket?

Allow me:

https://bitbucket.org/bakul/s9fes/

--
Laurent Malvert

* Re: [9fans] Scheme
@ 2013-03-18 21:58   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2013-03-18 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

bitbucket.org
search for bakul

@ 2013-03-18 22:01   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-03-18 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:44:49 EDT Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very interested in this. Do you have a link to your bitbucket?

https://bitbucket.org/bakul/s9fes

You can just `hg clone' from the above url or log into
bitbucket.org if you want to use its fancier tools.

* Re: [9fans] Scheme
@ 2013-03-18 22:11     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-03-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

seems to work on amd64.

	; ./6.out -i - -n -l s9-real.scm -l plan9/plan9.scm -l plan9/config.scm -d s9.image
	;  mv 6.out s9
	; ./s9
	Scheme 9 from Empty Space
	> (cons 'a 'b)
	(a . b)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Scheme
@ 2013-03-18 22:49       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-03-18 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:11:27 EDT erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
> seems to work on amd64.

Thanks to plan9 c compilers!

> 	; ./6.out -i - -n -l s9-real.scm -l plan9/plan9.scm -l plan9/config.scm
>  -d s9.image
> 	;  mv 6.out s9
> 	; ./s9
> 	Scheme 9 from Empty Space
> 	> (cons 'a 'b)
> 	(a . b)

mk tests

runs a bunch of tests.

The same code base should work on FreeBSD & Linux. s9 builds
on OS X but image dump and use doesn't.

This was a quick hack. The mkfile needs work.  The low level
plan9 interface probably needs work too.  Suggestions welcome.

s9help shouldn't be too hard to fix and will be very useful
in exploring s9fes.

If the plan9 port of curses can be made to work with
s9/ext/curses.* porting s9e (s9 editor) will be much easier.
It has integrated REPL support etc.

There are more goodies in s9/{contrib,prog,ext}

Don't forget to check out

s9 author Nils Holm's site:
	http://www.t3x.org/
If you are new to Scheme:
	http://www.t3x.org/s9book/index.html
you can buy "Scheme from Empty Space" book from Lulu.  The
book version of s9fes is a bit older (you can get it from his
website).