* [9fans] Small 9pcram update
@ 2013-03-20  9:12 Pete Elmore
From: Pete Elmore @ 2013-03-20  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[Hi!  Here's a small update for 9pcram users, which fixes a bug and
cleans up a little.  I've included plain diff and diff -e patches.
They are the same; do not run them both.  Enjoy your free software!  ☺
-Pete]

Mycroftiv is not currently posting on 9fans.  However this is a small
bugfix and cleanup that should be posted for any 9pcram kernel users
who wish it.  Bug finder: Cinap Lenrek.

[Paid placement for diff -e format patch:
Become PHYSICALLY ATTRACTIVE -- overnight!]

gridterm: diff -e /n/ants.9gridchan.org/rootlessnext/src.9.port/devproc.c devproc.c
2020,2021d
2012,2013d
2005,2006d
1973a
		free(cbf);
.
1968,1969d
1960,1962c
			error(Ebadarg);
.
1956,1957d
1817,1818d

[Paid placement for plain diff patch:
NYES!  The False Prophets, the Conpirators, Them, the Mediocretins, the
stupid Pink Boys, the malignant ones who breathe down our necks and
abuse their territorial urges without ever dreaming that they are doing
it, the ones who have tried to maim our self-respect down through the
centuries by making Slack and antipredictability TABOO in this human
culture.  They are the offensive ones who brought this Buck Rogers
monstrosity of microchips and inflation, nothing makes sense anymore and
everything costs too much, the weather is weird, WHY DID THEY DO IT?
Don't they know they're begging for the flaming sword of Retribution??]

gridterm: diff /n/ants.9gridchan.org/rootlessnext/src.9.port/devproc.c devproc.c
1817,1818d1816
< 			poperror();
< 			return -1;
1956,1957d1953
< 		poperror();
< 		return;
1960,1962c1956
< 			error(Ebadarg);
< 			poperror();
< 			return;
---
> 			error(Ebadarg);
1968,1969d1961
< 			poperror();
< 			return;
1973a1966
> 		free(cbf);
2005,2006d1997
< 			poperror();
< 			return;
2012,2013d2002
< 			poperror();
< 			return;
2020,2021d2008
< 			poperror();
< 			return;

[I think it's probably obvious, but "I" below is not me.  -Pete]

NOTES:
The bugfix is the addition of free(cbf) to the return path of the
unmount option from /proc.  Without this, this leaks the buffer and
could eventually exhaust kernel memory if a massive number of unmount
through /proc were performed.  This bug status severity is LOW, and I
won't be uploading recompiled kernels/VMs at this point.

The other is simply cleaning up unreachable code.  When I first wrote
this mod, I completely botched the error handling.  I was confused
between a "stack of error messages" and a "stack of error handling
functions" so I didn't get the waserror() at all.  Cinap Lenrek took
the time to help me understand, so I fixed that but still left
unreachable code stubs.  The removals clean those up.

[Postscript:  Sorry for the paid placements.  Bandwidth costs money.]
[Paid placement for the postscript:
Bulldada is accidental greatness, inadvertent Hilariation, but MOREALISM
is the deliberate invocation of bulldada and is now heralded by the
Church of the SubGenius.  In his works of morealism the SubGenius
strives for skim-proof shock value, overembellishment, bludgeon humor
and morbid yuks.  Thus, like his mentor "Bob," he is a great Wiseacre,
an orthodox fundadamentalist and a Scatman.  "FUCK THEM IF THEY CAN'T
TAKE A JOKE."]

* Re: [9fans] Small 9pcram update
@ 2013-03-20  9:40 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-03-20  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> [Postscript:  Sorry for the paid placements.  Bandwidth costs money.]

I kinda like the paid placements, they are refreshing, if a bit
incoherent.  Make what you like of that, sadly I won't be able to
contribute :-(

++L

PS: where's ".gs"?

* Re: [9fans] Small 9pcram update
@ 2013-03-20 11:12   ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2013-03-20 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It's ccTLD for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. Of course,
that's a fancy domain he is using. Tempted to reserve ho.gs and clo.gs.

@ 2013-03-20 11:33   ` Pete Elmore
From: Pete Elmore @ 2013-03-20 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:40:58 +0200, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> I kinda like the paid placements, they are refreshing, if a bit
> incoherent.  Make what you like of that, sadly I won't be able to
> contribute :-(
I can't claim originality on them.  Mostly because my vast bandwidth
costs have forced me to accept paid placements in emails.  I think it is
some sort of religious organization.

> PS: where's ".gs"?
Sandwich Islands.  I haven't ever been.

[Paid placement for reply that I probably should have sent to Lucio
rather than the entire list:
Every few hours, the SubGenius experiences the most concrete reality of
all, the impervious realness of staring at the wall while voiding.
This of all the Meditations is the most magickal, for is it not also
the least evitable?  Even the False Prophets are forced to do it.  It
is the daily moment when each human is faced with profound
contemplation of himself, and even if he feels it to be an unclean act,
it only instills the bland virtue of humility.]