* [9fans] off topic: full unicode support isn't easy
@ 2013-07-24  2:59 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2013-07-24  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FYI

Creative usernames and Spotify account hijacking
http://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] off topic: full unicode support isn't easy
@ 2013-07-24  5:09 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-07-24  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jul 23 23:16:14 EDT 2013, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> FYI
>
> Creative usernames and Spotify account hijacking
> http://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/

i took a different lessons.

0.  uncode support isn't binary.  one might reasonably support a subset.
(i wonder if they'd let me have “0021bf upwards harpoon with barb leftwards”
as a user name?  would it serve any business purpose?)

1.  it's important to write down what the requirements really are especially
when relying on external code to get it done.  better yet, have the code check the
requirements are met.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] off topic: full unicode support isn't easy
@ 2013-07-24 14:12 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-07-24 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 05:59:32AM +0300, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> FYI
>
> Creative usernames and Spotify account hijacking
> http://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/
>

> Arnold

Seems the thrust of this article is more like "writing secure
public-facing authentication mechanisms relying on unvetted clownsourced
code isn't easy".

khm

* Re: [9fans] off topic: full unicode support isn't easy
@ 2013-07-24 15:07   ` Steffen Daode Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Daode Nurpmeso @ 2013-07-24 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Kurt H Maier <khm-9@intma.in> wrote:
 |On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 05:59:32AM +0300, Aharon Robbins wrote:
 |> FYI
 |>
 |> Creative usernames and Spotify account hijacking
 |> http://labs.spotify.com/2013/06/18/creative-usernames/
 |>
 |> Arnold
 |
 |Seems the thrust of this article is more like "writing secure
 |public-facing authentication mechanisms relying on unvetted clownsourced
 |code isn't easy".

I thought more in the direction you-are-fucked-up-if-you-trust-
anyone-but-yourself-if-not-today-then-tomorrow.
(It's Python...)

 |khm

--steffen

* Re: [9fans] off topic: full unicode support isn't easy
@ 2013-07-24 21:38   ` Steffen Daode Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Daode Nurpmeso @ 2013-07-24 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
 |0.  uncode support isn't binary.  one might reasonably support a subset.

But it is not that you are totally against supporting
decomposition that includes Korean ("Hangul Syllable
Decomposition", must be performed algorithmically)?
It's only missing yet.

 |- erik

--steffen

* Re: [9fans] off topic: full unicode support isn't easy
@ 2013-07-24 23:55     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-07-24 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jul 24 17:39:45 EDT 2013, sdaoden@gmail.com wrote:
> erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>  |0.  uncode support isn't binary.  one might reasonably support a subset.
>
> But it is not that you are totally against supporting
> decomposition that includes Korean ("Hangul Syllable
> Decomposition", must be performed algorithmically)?
> It's only missing yet.

i wasn't making any statements about particular languages,
or even endorsing supporting a subset.

but consider, file names in plan 9 support a subset of unicode.
they may not contain the codepoints u+00002f (/) or u+000000.
otherwise, a directory could contain the file entry "a/b" or "a/b\0c"
which could lead to confusion.  many file servers expand
the frogs list to include codepoints < or ≤ u+00020 (space)
to prevent accidents.

http://xkcd.com/327/

- erik