* Re: [9fans] cifs fails on nodes named aux
@ 2013-08-28 14:26 Erik Quanstrom
From: Erik Quanstrom @ 2013-08-28 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the claim that the devices are in the directories and thus the file system is still false.  even if explorer has some unnecessary code.  and plan 9 is not immune from unnecessary weird bits e.g. the export protocol.

- erik

@ 2013-08-28  9:13 Ingo Krabbe
From: Ingo Krabbe @ 2013-08-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey,

I found a quite strange effect with cifs (plan9 bell labs edition). I use cifs to mount werc installations from p9p linux servers. Cifs is needed here, as the virtual hosted machine does not support nfs. Maybe I should switch to another userspace filesystem, but for now its cifs.

Any node named `aux` is translated into `AHY9U3~9`, of course one-way only, such that I cannot use the `AHY9U3~9` node in my plan9 mount.

Renaming to aux2 for example, solves the problem.

I found this when looking at werc/bin/aux, which is a directory.

So I tried this in werc/tpl:
term% ed aux
?aux
This is a test
.
wq
15
term% ls -l
--rw-rw-rw- M 166 bill trog   15 Aug 24 11:29 AHY9U3~9
--rw-rw-rw- M 166 bill trog  683 Mar 29 10:03 _debug.tpl
d-rwxrwxrwx M 166 bill trog    0 Mar 29 10:03 _users
--rw-rw-rw- M 166 bill trog 1919 Mar 29 10:03 sitemap.tpl

Maybe I will hunt this further down next weeks...

... Ah I just found out, that ls 'aux' does actually work.

Any hints for debugging this might help.

cheers

ingo krabbe