From: Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] network support on virtualbox
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:27:52 -0700	[thread overview]

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:23:25 +0200 Sakis Kasampalis <s.kasampalis@zoho.com> wrote:

> Is there any chance of getting network (IP) support on virtualbox? My
> adapter according to lspci is: Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n
> 1T/1R PCIe

[I am ssuming you are running VirtualBox on a linux box
and you want a plan9 VM to have network access]

Adapter type on the host doesn't matter. In VirtualBox
settings->Network menu just enable network adapter. The
easiest thing to do is to choose NAT which has some
limitations (but you can forward some TCP ports if you want
external access to your VM).  You can also bridge to a host
adapter if there is a DHCP server on your network. The
settings that work for me on a macbookpro:
    attached to: bridged adapter name: en0: wi-fi(airport)
    adapter type: intel pro/1000 mt desktop

You also need to do some configuration on the plan9 side.
There is probably a better way to do this but I just add the
following to /rc/bin/termrc.local
    ndb/cs -f $NDBFILE
    ip/ipconfig
    ndb/dns -r