From: Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] first questions from a lurker
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:55:33 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 08:41:12 MDT arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> I've been a lurker on 9fans for many years. Today I finally did an
> install - +9atom.iso.bz2 into a virtual box VM.  The VM is NAT'ed
> to a corporate network and I can ping by IP address with no problem.
>
> First questions.
>
> 0. How to see my IP address? Cat a file in /net/... somewhere?

/net/ndb has your ip address, gateway, dns servers, domain.

> 2. How to use DHCP to get to the corporate DNS servers?  (This worked
>    pretty much OOTB on the labs dist, but I think that 9atom will be
>    the better match for the work we want to do.)  Right now all
>    hostname lookups (via ping) fail.

Others have answered what to do within plan9. On the
virtualbox side you need to attach to 'bridged adapter'
instead of NAT.  Pick the right "name" (which is really the
interface name on the host) -- wi-fi (airport) for instacnce
if you are on a MBP.  I think the default adapter type should
work (Intel pro/1000 MT desktop). You may also have to tell
the dhcp server about mac address  etc. depending on how it is
set up.