* [9fans] Go 1.3b1 cmd/pack test takes too long
@ 2014-05-05  1:58 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-05-05  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

is anyone else seeing similar results for cmd/pack?

% go test
PASS
ok   cmd/pack 172.505s

this is on an atom (d525 @ 1.8ghz, 4gb). same test on an arm (quad core a9
@ 1.7ghz, 2gb, linux 3.8) takes much less time:

% go test
PASS
ok      cmd/pack    20.872s

* Re: [9fans] Go 1.3b1 cmd/pack test takes too long
@ 2014-05-05  2:51 ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2014-05-05  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> once said:
> is anyone else seeing similar results for cmd/pack?
>
> % go test
> PASS
> ok   cmd/pack 172.505s
>
> this is on an atom (d525 @ 1.8ghz, 4gb). same test on an arm (quad core a9
> @ 1.7ghz, 2gb, linux 3.8) takes much less time:
>
> % go test
> PASS
> ok      cmd/pack    20.872s

Your numbers don't look entirely abnormal. That test issues
over a million small writes. (Although it really should be
using bufio).

How is your system set up? Are you getting your fs from
the network? The Plan 9 disk file systems are pretty slow
even when used locally.

  Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Go 1.3b1 cmd/pack test takes too long
@ 2014-05-05  5:16   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-05-05  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Your numbers don't look entirely abnormal. That test issues
> over a million small writes. (Although it really should be
> using bufio).

Are you suggesting we ought to change pack?  I don't mind doing it if
it's likely to be accepted by the developers.  On NetBSD and my slow
Plan 9 network, there are a few places that trip up the tests because
they seemingly take too long, if buffering would speed them up, I
would be a lot more comfortable.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Go 1.3b1 cmd/pack test takes too long
@ 2014-05-05  6:12   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-05-05  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thanks; i should have checked that. running it on the fossil+venti server
brings it down a bit. still, it's not stellar.

bootes% go test
PASS
ok   cmd/pack 81.480s
bootes% go test
PASS
ok   cmd/pack 79.719s

@ 2014-05-05 11:56     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-05 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon May  5 01:19:06 EDT 2014, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > Your numbers don't look entirely abnormal. That test issues
> > over a million small writes. (Although it really should be
> > using bufio).
>
> Are you suggesting we ought to change pack?  I don't mind doing it if
> it's likely to be accepted by the developers.  On NetBSD and my slow
> Plan 9 network, there are a few places that trip up the tests because
> they seemingly take too long, if buffering would speed them up, I
> would be a lot more comfortable.

yes.  a million small writes in a test like that is unreasonable.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Go 1.3b1 cmd/pack test takes too long
@ 2014-05-05 22:44     ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2014-05-05 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> once said:
> thanks; i should have checked that. running it on the fossil+venti server
> brings it down a bit. still, it's not stellar.
>
> bootes% go test
> PASS
> ok   cmd/pack 81.480s
> bootes% go test
> PASS
> ok   cmd/pack 79.719s

Here's a CL to buffer the writes in TestLargeDefs:

    https://codereview.appspot.com/95040044

Cheers,
  Anthony