From: Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Question about fossil
Date: Mon,  9 Jun 2014 14:52:00 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 17:25:51 EDT erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Mon Jun  9 17:13:09 EDT 2014, lyndon@orthanc.ca wrote:
>

> > On Jun 9, 2014, at 1:21 PM, Riddler <riddler876@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > It was brought about mainly because the wiki states that sources only
> > > uses ~512MB for fossil.
> >
> > I suspect that's wildly out of date.
>
> a basic install requires about 512mb, which all must be in fossil at
> the same time.  so that's correct as far as it goes.
>
> nontheless, i think that 2% or a minimum of 1G and a maximum
> of about 20G makes sense for fossil.  i have run various file servers
> out of space, and it's not pretty.

Over the weekend I was playing with fossil and "copied" my
fossil partition using its last score, swapped the two disks
(under virtualbox) and rebooted.  df now shows 1MB in use! So
if you init fossil from the score of an existing installation,
you can make do with a lot less space -- only depends on how
much new stuff you create every day! Even there you can
probably write a script that watches df and when it reaches
some limit creates an archival snapshot or just snapshot
every hour or so!

This idea can drastically reduce new installation time.
Someone (vsrinivas?) has created vtrc.c, a venti proxy, a
variation of Russ's venti/ro.c. This can probably be enhanced
so that if a block is not found in your local venti, it asks a
public venti (and writes back that block to the local venti).