* [9fans] plan9.ini: ipconfig and bootargs
@ 2016-02-14 16:26 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2016-02-14 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

When trying to re-install a Plan9 on a new node, being unable, with the
kernel compiled present on the CDROM image, to access a FAT or an iso
image of a root file system, I went to a combination of a minimal sketch
of a plan9 slice, with a 9fat made "by hand" (from an already installed
other OS---here NetBSD) and access at boot time a remote root
filesystem, for the installation, serves by another Unix node serving
9P2000.

The surprise is with the bootargs, in plan9.ini, supposed to configure
the network for the node, in order to access a remote root filesystem,
as in:

fs=192.168.1.3
# auth not used
auth=192.168.1.3
bootargs=tcp!-g 192.168.1.1 gbe 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

what is after the '!' being supposed to be args to ip/ipconfig.

The problem is that the gateway is taken as _another_ ip address for the
interface! and that the mask is taken as the "node" serving the root
filesystem! "fs" not being taken into account.

Only:

bootargs=tcp!gbe 192.168.1.2

works...

Is the ip/ipconfig embedded in boot reduced as to not take all the
options? (I don't need them; but the wiki page is the wrong; and
I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if there is indeed something
changed since the page was written...)

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                     http://www.arts-po.fr/

* Re: [9fans] plan9.ini: ipconfig and bootargs
@ 2016-02-15 15:41 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2016-02-15 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Feb 14 08:30:20 PST 2016, tlaronde@polynum.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When trying to re-install a Plan9 on a new node, being unable, with the
> kernel compiled present on the CDROM image, to access a FAT or an iso
> image of a root file system, I went to a combination of a minimal sketch
> of a plan9 slice, with a 9fat made "by hand" (from an already installed
> other OS---here NetBSD) and access at boot time a remote root
> filesystem, for the installation, serves by another Unix node serving
> 9P2000.
>
> The surprise is with the bootargs, in plan9.ini, supposed to configure
> the network for the node, in order to access a remote root filesystem,
> as in:
>
> fs=192.168.1.3
> # auth not used
> auth=192.168.1.3
> bootargs=tcp!-g 192.168.1.1 gbe 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
>
> what is after the '!' being supposed to be args to ip/ipconfig.

here's what i have on my cpu server

	nobootprompt=il -g 10.1.10.1 ether /net/ether0 10.1.1.1 /112

nobootprompt is equivalent to bootargs

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9.ini: ipconfig and bootargs
@ 2016-02-15 16:46   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2016-02-15 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello Erik,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 07:41:37AM -0800, erik quanstrom wrote:
> On Sun Feb 14 08:30:20 PST 2016, tlaronde@polynum.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When trying to re-install a Plan9 on a new node, being unable, with the
> > kernel compiled present on the CDROM image, to access a FAT or an iso
> > image of a root file system, I went to a combination of a minimal sketch
> > of a plan9 slice, with a 9fat made "by hand" (from an already installed
> > other OS---here NetBSD) and access at boot time a remote root
> > filesystem, for the installation, serves by another Unix node serving
> > 9P2000.
> >
> > The surprise is with the bootargs, in plan9.ini, supposed to configure
> > the network for the node, in order to access a remote root filesystem,
> > as in:
> >
> > fs=192.168.1.3
> > # auth not used
> > auth=192.168.1.3
> > bootargs=tcp!-g 192.168.1.1 gbe 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
> >
> > what is after the '!' being supposed to be args to ip/ipconfig.
>
> here's what i have on my cpu server
>
> 	nobootprompt=il -g 10.1.10.1 ether /net/ether0 10.1.1.1 /112
>
> nobootprompt is equivalent to bootargs

Yep (but since I was testing, I wanted the prompt and the ability to
change with bootargs).

But what kernel do you boot? Because, reading the various inst/* rc
scripts, I gather that 9pcdisk is perhaps an "old" kernel (9pcf is used
instead now) and this is perhaps I used this 9pcdisk kernel that the
whole string is not correctly interpreted...
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                     http://www.arts-po.fr/