* [9fans] /acme/edit commands?
@ 2016-05-19  0:32 Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2016-05-19  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are the /acme/edit commands (as discussed in the Acme paper and included with
the Inferno version of Acme) included in Plan 9 or plan9port? If not, what is the
workflow replacement? Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit commands?
@ 2016-05-19  1:24 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-05-19  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've attached a screen dump that shows /acme/bin in my Plan 9 environment.
it tends to become customized after a while.

> Are the /acme/edit commands (as discussed in the Acme paper and included with
> the Inferno version of Acme) included in Plan 9 or plan9port? If not, what is the
> workflow replacement? Thanks.

[-- Attachment #2: acmebin.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10499 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit commands?
@ 2016-05-19  4:49 ` Staven
From: Staven @ 2016-05-19  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 12:32:18AM +0000, Brian Vito wrote:
> Are the /acme/edit commands (as discussed in the Acme paper and included with
> the Inferno version of Acme) included in Plan 9 or plan9port? If not, what is the
> workflow replacement? Thanks.

Doesn't the Edit command provide the same functionality?

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit commands?
@ 2016-05-19 10:18   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-05-19 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i misunderstood the original question.  as you noted, the Edit command
provides sam-style text editing, which is probably why nobody misses
/acme/edit.  i don't think they were in 4ed (at all or for very long);
they were in 2ed, and the commands are written in Alef.

i had forgotten about them!

@ 2016-05-19 22:14     ` Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2016-05-19 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Skip Tavakkolian <9nut <at> 9netics.com> writes:

> i misunderstood the original question.  as you noted, the Edit command
> provides sam-style text editing, which is probably why nobody misses
> /acme/edit.  i don't think they were in 4ed (at all or for very long);
> they were in 2ed, and the commands are written in Alef.
>
> i had forgotten about them!

I had thought the /acme/edit commands (Limbo versions are included with the
latest Inferno distribution, which also has an Acme with Edit) allow for the
editing of files at the command line using the Sam command language
(without having to run Acme itself), while using Edit requires loading the files
into Acme before operating on them. Am I wrong about either of these beliefs?
If I am correct, I like the idea of being able to use the /acme/edit commands
in shell scripts, just as I would use sed or other commands (rather than having
to use Acme itself, which is more complicated), and I would be interested in
having the /acme/edit commands available on Plan 9 / plan9port for use there
as well.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit commands?
@ 2016-05-20 16:46       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2016-05-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I had thought the /acme/edit commands (Limbo versions are included with the
> latest Inferno distribution, which also has an Acme with Edit) allow for the
> editing of files at the command line using the Sam command language
> (without having to run Acme itself), while using Edit requires loading the files
> into Acme before operating on them. Am I wrong about either of these beliefs?
> If I am correct, I like the idea of being able to use the /acme/edit commands
> in shell scripts, just as I would use sed or other commands (rather than having
> to use Acme itself, which is more complicated), and I would be interested in
> having the /acme/edit commands available on Plan 9 / plan9port for use there
> as well.

all the recipes in /acme/edit/guide start with 'e' command (ee.l).  'e'
starts by looking in /mnt/acme/index for the buffer id of "file"; it
then operates on the corresponding buffer.  so the edit commands are
meant to operate in /mnt/acme namespace (i.e.  inside acme).

you can use 'sam -d' for shell scripts.

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit commands?
@ 2016-05-21  2:36         ` Brian Vito
From: Brian Vito @ 2016-05-21  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Skip Tavakkolian <9nut <at> 9netics.com> writes:

> all the recipes in /acme/edit/guide start with 'e' command (ee.l).  'e'
> starts by looking in /mnt/acme/index for the buffer id of "file"; it
> then operates on the corresponding buffer.  so the edit commands are
> meant to operate in /mnt/acme namespace (i.e.  inside acme).
>
> you can use 'sam -d' for shell scripts.

Got it, thanks. Unfortunately sam isn't available on Inferno, so I'll have
to make do with using acme. When I get around to it, I'll work on
extracting the logic from acme/sam and write stand-alone versions
of the /acme/edit commands. What would people generally prefer,
separate commands for a, c, d, g, i, p and x, or one command that
collectively implements the sam language?

* Re: [9fans] /acme/edit commands?
@ 2016-05-21  3:53           ` sl
From: sl @ 2016-05-21  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Unfortunately sam isn't available on Inferno

I don't remember where I got this, and I don't know who wrote it,
and it definitely seems pretty buggy, but:

	http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/inferno/src/sam.tgz

sl