* [9fans] starting to agree with you about blanks
@ 2002-07-04  8:25 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-07-04  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

:  I would vote for such a feature.  The kernel and 9P would be freed
:  of filename shackles, the shim would apply the existing rules.
:  Imagine, for example, a shim that would enable a 2nd Edition
:  application to access the 4th Edition filesystem.  Mapping filenames

I see. I have to say it was never my aim to open the door for
any other change. It'd be both horrible and a mess to get the kernel
translate names. I think the blank stuff is horrible enough.

:  to continue with the upas/fs example, here's a function that opens a
:  mailbox and returns a pathname that can be used to access the messages
:  therein:
:	openmbox("/mail/box/rog/mbox", "My\x00A0Mailbox", buf);

I now see how this would break.
And agree that by doing it in the servers (in the boundaries as you say)
it can be avoided.

Do we agree that %q is also breaking this?
Or am I mistaken?

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-07-04  8:25 UTC | newest]