From: Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Cc: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>,
	Vadim Antonov <avg@kotovnik.com>,
	Alberto Nava <betonavab@gmail.com>
Subject: [9fans] nCUBE, Transit, and Plan 9
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:09:15 -0700	[thread overview]

mycroftiv@sphericalharmony.com once said:
> Most recently, I have been pursing historical investigation and
> recreation of systems based on the hypercubic computers which rose to
> prominence in the late 1980s.  Most interesting (to me) are the
> systems from nCUBE, which transitioned during the 1990s to a Plan 9
> based (!) operating system called Transit which was used for streaming
> video appliance servers such as the Mediacube 4.  I am very very
> interested in the Transit OS and this history, and I can find almost
> no substantive information about the Transit variant of Plan 9,
> although information on the earlier generation of nCUBE systems is
> fairly plentiful.

I'm also interested in this. I tracked down some current email addresses
for some of the nCUBE people who posted to 9fans in the '90s.

Greetings to Stephen, Vadim, and Alberto.

Would you be willing to indulge us with some historical information on
how Plan 9 was used and modified by nCUBE and what became of the Transit
operating system?

Thanks,
  Anthony