On 19Nov24:0830-0800, ori@eigenstate.org wrote: > >> The most official looking site for vanilla plan9 is 9p.io. It > >> doesn't show any sign of activity since 2015. > > > > Please look more closely: > > > > cpu% srv -n 9p.io sources /n/sources > > Usually, that's not what people mean when they > say 'site'. > > It's good to see patches being posted, but for > someone who is interested in experimenting with > plan 9 for the first time, it's not clear that > these exist, let alone which are important. > > Actually, you know what, I should put my money > where my mouth is. Would there be objections to > me going through and fixing the links in the > wiki so they point to 9p.io? > > Is there anyone who would be comfortable explaining > to me exactly the relationship between 9p.io and > 9legacy, as well as how people are expected to use > the two, so that I can put that into the wiki? > > Is there anywhere that people would be comfortable > blessing as a source for building new ISO images, > to put behind the download link, with the accepted > patches integrated? > > (Yes, I do use 9front, but I'm not religious. I'd > be happy to take some time to improve labs, too. > I also hate people who complain without doing the > work to improve things.) > > > "Usable" is a function of who's doing the using. > > I use the Labs version every day and it does what > > I need. > > The impression I got was that many users (in the > 9front world, at least) have a system patched > to their desires, and don't run things fully > vanilla, direct from the ISO. Over five years ago I was compelled to stop work on my cookbook for newbies to implement a working Plan 9 virtual server with a drawterm interface on a GNU/Linux platform supporting virtual machines. I have received one email from someone who successfully got started thereby and it's still available at http://dlcusa.net/vp9cb-9pio, but after reading this thread, I wonder if it's worth the effort to get back to it eventually and finish the job. -- May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly! Dave_Craig______________________________________________ "So the universe is not quite as you thought it was. You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then. Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe." __--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________