From: Dworkin Muller <dlm-9fans@weaselfish.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] getting 9front ssh to use RSA key?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 20:44:17 -0700 (MST)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 19:08:43 -0800, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
ori> Now, I'm confused. The example just works for me -- and
ori> I use ssh to get into my linux and openbsd machines on
ori> a daily basis.
ori>
ori> I also just spun up a FreeBSD 12.1 vm on vultr to test,
ori> and it just worked out of the box for me. (I assume you're
ori> on 12.2, but that wasn't an option -- the update is
ori> currently running)

I suppose it's possible that the authorized_keys file on the remote
machine (which is, indeed, 12.2) got corrupted somehow after my early
attempts despite my reviewing it a few times.  I'd've expected diff to
show it, but given the number of keys already there and the number of
scenarios I ran through, I could've missed something.

If that was the case, then last run through of the example (which
required removing the previous copy of the public key) would likely
have gotten an uncorrupted version of the public key in there and then
things would, of course, started working.

This is the sort of situation where I wish for an auto-versioning
filesystem, which FreeBSD doesn't have.  For that matter, I don't
think I've seen one since TOPS-20 (and maybe VMS, didn't use it nearly
as much).  In any case, at this point there's no way to look at how
the contents of the key file changed over time.  *sigh*

Thanks again, everybody.

Dworkin