* [9fans] increase visibility of "Help" paper?
@ 2005-03-28  6:30 Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2005-03-28  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For a while I've been thinking how great it would be
if there were "training videos" for sam and Acme--
over-the-shoulder shots of the screen, with a running
commentary summarizing the user input actions.  This
would be useful in terms of advertising, too, since
people might think "gee, how does the screen do the
right thing so fast?".

Anyway, last night while in the Plan 9 wiki avoiding
work, I stumbled on a 1st edition paper documenting
"Help", which preceded Acme, which is stored at
  http://www.fywss.com/plan9/plan9man/12help.ps.gz

It's great, pretty much an Acme training video in
paper form, and includes a dramatically-delivered
punch line.  I think it would help a lot of people
if this paper were included in the "User Interfaces"
part of the "official" paper list at
  http://cm.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/index.html
perhaps with a disclaimer along the lines of "for
further information on Acme's goals and use,
described in the context of an early prototype,
see "A Minimalist Global User Interface".

Dave Eckhardt