From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Watanabe 32 dot Japanese fonts
Date: Thu,  9 Oct 2003 11:26:55 +0900	[thread overview]

I announced a few months ago that I removed the 32 dot fonts for Plan 9
from our web page, because it was reported that the base font of
Watanabe Fonts might violate copyright of some fonts.

I contacted with the original font supplyer, (hitach printing solutions
Co. 日立プリンティングソリューションズ株式会社), and got a negative
answer from them.

They say as follows:
 if the original 32dot font data from that company are not used,
we can use those fonts.   However, we recognize that the
first Watanabe Font are (illegally) copied from our original fonts.

The 32 dot fonts I used was made by Marc Leisher from freetype
Watanabe font.   Therefore, we cannot use those fonts.   We must
be carefull many of free Japanese fonts, which comes with open
software, such as Kochi fonts, etc.

Kenji