From: james toy <drivers@0xabadba.be>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] fun quote
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:00:59 -0400	[thread overview]

==8<==
> No, no, it is, what I mean is that I haven't heard similar sentiments
> towards the open source released by Apple.   Apple's  'open source'  is
>  software that is developed in a closed source fashion, then released as
> open source when the time is right, as opposed to Linux and related
> software, which are developed, almost from the ground up, as open source.
>  This is the impression I get anyway.
==8<==

Yes and no; a lot of xnu is derived from FreeBSD.  There are certainly
caveats and areas where this is not true; however, I believe that
anyone can get their hands on the source code whilst in development
with a premier apple developer account.  In some ways I understand
this method or source control and in others I do not.  It seems geared
to a more "professional" crowd because I highly doubt many people are
willing to shell out _thousands_ of dollars to get their hands on
source code ~6-12 months in advance. It seems more a company would be
willing to have an ADC account to get the xnu source early because
they need to provide updates to drivers etc etc etc..

james francis toy iv