* [9fans] Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI
@ 2012-05-17 13:22 Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2012-05-17 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

People are saying that the Wavelan PC24E-H-FC is working with plan9.
I found a Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI.  Any idea if this will work?

--
Burton Samograd

* Re: [9fans] Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI
@ 2012-05-17 13:42 ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-17 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> People are saying that the Wavelan PC24E-H-FC is working with plan9.
> I found a Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI.  Any idea if this will work?

Since there has been no systematic attempt to track working
hardware, each purchase is a crapshoot. I own one "Lucent
WaveLAN" PC24E-H-FC that works and just bought one "IBM"
PC24E-H-FC that does not work. They're old cards, and the
non-working one could just be dead. Or, it could have subtly
different hardware on the inside. Who knows?

To enable the working card I added the following to plan9.ini:

	ether0=type=wavelan essid=MESH crypt=off station=x61 irq=11

-sl

* Re: [9fans] Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI
@ 2012-05-17 14:46   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2012-05-17 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM,  <sl@9front.org> wrote:
> Since there has been no systematic attempt to track working
> hardware, each purchase is a crapshoot. I own one "Lucent
> WaveLAN" PC24E-H-FC that works and just bought one "IBM"
> PC24E-H-FC that does not work. They're old cards, and the
> non-working one could just be dead. Or, it could have subtly
> different hardware on the inside. Who knows?

One good way to know would be to look at the PCI device IDs.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI
@ 2012-05-17 15:26     ` sl
From: sl @ 2012-05-17 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Since there has been no systematic attempt to track working
> > hardware, each purchase is a crapshoot. I own one "Lucent
> > WaveLAN" PC24E-H-FC that works and just bought one "IBM"
> > PC24E-H-FC that does not work. They're old cards, and the
> > non-working one could just be dead. Or, it could have subtly
> > different hardware on the inside. Who knows?
>
> One good way to know would be to look at the PCI device IDs.

True, and now that I've taken possession of the IBM card
I can check these things.

-sl

* Re: [9fans] Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI
@ 2012-05-20 21:18 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2012-05-20 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I have that card and it works without problems. It is an orinoco silver pcmcia.
> I have another similar, lucent Orinoco, but this time is a Compaq
> WL110 and this doesn't work, it is the PCE24E-H-JP

Awesome, thanks. I clicked the 'Buy Now' button and couldn't back out,
so I'm glad to know I didn't completely waste my money :)

--

@ 2012-05-20 20:27 Antonio Barrones
From: Antonio Barrones @ 2012-05-20 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On May 17, 4:22 pm, burton.samog...@gmail.com (Burton Samograd) wrote:
> People are saying that the Wavelan PC24E-H-FC is working with plan9.
> I found a Lucient Ornico PC24E-H-FC-WIFI.  Any idea if this will work?
>
> --
> Burton Samograd
I have that card and it works without problems. It is an orinoco silver pcmcia.
I have another similar, lucent Orinoco, but this time is a Compaq
WL110 and this doesn't work, it is the PCE24E-H-JP

Antonio