From: Gregory Pavelcak <g.pavelcak@comcast.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] bunzip2 problem
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:24:50 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello all,

I'm afraid I may have done something wrong in creating a .tbz file, and
now I'm unable to unzip it. I'm hoping there's something I can do to
recover. Here, from memory, is what I did.

I was running Plan 9 in vmware on Windows XP. From  /mail/box, I did
tar cf p9mail.tar glenda. that seemed to work and gave me a tar file. I
then decided to bzip2 it since I was going to send it over the net I
figured I'd make it smaller, so bzip2 p9mail.tar gave me p9mail.tbz.
Then, I used cifs to get access to our local Windows server and copied
the file over there. Here's the brilliant step. It didn't occur to me
to confirm that I could unzip the thing before replacing my
Windows/Plan 9 setup with FreeBSD. Since then, I tried to bunzip the
file from BSD (I don't remember the messages from there, but it
failed.) and on my Plan 9 box at home. Here's what I get

cpu% bunzip2 p9mail.tbz
bunzip2: decompress failed
bunzip2: can't write p9mail.tar: './bunzip2' file does not exist

I've also tried bunzip2 using -c and redirection, and it still fails.

I don't understand the './bunzip2' file does not exist" complaint. Just
for the heck of it, I did "touch bunzip2" in the directory where I was
trying to bunzip and got

cpu% bunzip2 p9mail.tbz
bunzip2: decompress failed
bunzip2: can't write p9mail.tar: exec header invalid

I suppose this isn't much to go on. I'm assuming that I did something
wrong in making the file or that something bizarre happened in the cifs
copy. Can I recover this somehow? It contains stored emails and an
outbox from work.

Thanks.

Greg