On Mar 29, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Charles Forsyth wrote: > > On 29 March 2013 17:41, Kurt H Maier wrote: > Anything using gethostbyname is probably going to want herror (and thus > hstrerror) to be there. > > I see, although it seems herror/hstrerror is usually ifdef'd out, even when gethostbyname remains! Though if I check recent FreeBSD manuals, it's all there. And given that this is part of the BSD extensions to APE, those might be more relevant than the Linux man pages. Not that BSD tries to be POSIX compliant any more or less than GNU/Linux. There are definitely some issues in gethostbyaddr() that are being looked into at this time. But while the review is taking place, it doesn't hurt to look at other potential areas of a mismatch.