* [9fans] vgbe: no phy found
@ 2007-01-03 16:58 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-01-03 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

While booting I get this sequence of messages:

    vgbe: miir timeout
    vgbe: no phy found
    #l1: vgbe: 1000Mbps port 0xD400 irq 5: 00e08155866a

The last line implies that this interface has been configured, but
when I attempt to send packets on it, no interrupt is received.  So
I suspect the "missing" phy is fatal.

Should ethervgbe abort the pnp sequence when no phy is found, as
for example ethervt6102 does?

Is there anything I can try in order to get this interface working?
It's a built-in interface on a VIA VT310 board.

* Re: [9fans] vgbe: no phy found
@ 2007-01-03 18:23 ` Anel Philippe
From: Anel Philippe @ 2007-01-03 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello Richard,

    I encountered such problem once, when I worked on this driver, but it
disappeared after I've booted to FreeBSD. I think the phy initialization
code I wrote needs to be enhanced. Indeed it seems (from the FreeBSD
sources) that some phys are bugged and need to be inited with special
sequence. I would suggest you to check first if your board has such phy.

    Regards,
    Phil.

@ 2007-01-03 18:26   ` Anel Philippe
From: Anel Philippe @ 2007-01-03 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think we can also simply enhance mii.c source in order to handle such
thing.
Indeed such phys can be used with other network chips.

    Regards,
    Phil.

@ 2007-01-04 10:17   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-01-04 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>     I encountered such problem once, when I worked on this driver, but it
> disappeared after I've booted to FreeBSD.

According to this message, it seems to be broken in FreeBSD now too:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-i386/2006-December/004941.html

-- Richard