The problem was links trying to (successfully) kill off the init process. It was all my fault. A change I made to the select emulation killed off the 'extra' timer process on atexit. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to look at the rest of the code and notice that the rock it was hiding its pid under was getting set to -1 sometimes (like when some other process sharing the memory aborted). So the code was doing a kill(-1) which means send a note to process group 1. Fixed two ways. Select is fixed and /bin/init no longer lets itself be killed so easily.