* [9fans] acme/sam port and "umlauts"
@ 2004-05-07 17:41 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2004-05-07 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

I've installed the acme/sam ports on a BSD box but there are
problems if I try to input "german umlauts". I use a english
keybord and compose the umlauts with 'alt "[AUOauo]'. It
simply doesnt work in acme/sam. Is there any way to configure
this?

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] acme/sam port and "umlauts"
@ 2004-05-07 18:19 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-05-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've installed the acme/sam ports on a BSD box but there are
> problems if I try to input "german umlauts". I use a english
> keybord and compose the umlauts with 'alt "[AUOauo]'. It
> simply doesnt work in acme/sam. Is there any way to configure
> this?

There is a bug.  Make sure you are typing Alt, ", o
and NOT Shift-Alt, ", o.  Shift-Alt sends a different key
stroke and I hadn't realized it at the time.  I have fixed
it in my own copy but I need to clean some things
up before I push the latest sources out.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] acme/sam port and "umlauts"
@ 2004-05-08 13:34   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-05-08 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've installed the acme/sam ports on a BSD box but there are
> problems if I try to input "german umlauts". I use a english
> keybord and compose the umlauts with 'alt "[AUOauo]'. It
> > simply doesnt work in acme/sam. Is there any way to configure
> this?

under x11, with the old x11 sam which was at

    http://netlib.bell-labs.com/magic/netlib_find?db=0&pat=sam+pike

i hacked it so it didn't use unicode, just 8 bit [latin-1] chars.

i think that's all i needed to do as the lunix keyboard driver would
hand up the 8 bit chars correctedly.  i've used it on .se and .fr
keyboards.

it's just a couple of hack ifdefs.  i can send the diffs, if necessary.