From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] /sys/include/ape/errno.h
Date: Tue,  6 Jan 2004 07:30:58 -0500	[thread overview]

I wrote the apesocket stuff to match 4.1c.  There wasn't any posix
spec at the time, didn't realize there was one now.  If you want
to replace them, go right ahead.  The current stuff is pretty
thin.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3528 bytes --]

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:47:11 +0200

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:29:18AM +0000, Charles Forsyth wrote:

> the error numbers can never be relied upon;
> that's why they've got symbolic names
> (except in NFS where a subset is assigned specific numbers
> corresponding to the Sun errno assignment of the time,
> that often differ from those on the communicating systems,
> requiring errno swizzling)

Thanks, Charles.

Hm, in other words, I may as well start working on porting the
socket code I am working on to Plan 9, rather than make adjustments
for the missing error codes (EWOULDBLOCK and ECONNRESET).

That may make the next question redundant: many socket functions
are prototyped in APE with "int *len" as their last argument.
These days, in NetBSD these use soclen_t which is normally a uint,
but I think provision has been made for an int in some special
instances (I think it's a platform issue).

Does anyone know if the POSIX spec has changed to use "uint *len"
instead of "int *len" in the recent past (since the APE modules
were written)?  Or "socklen *len" or "size_t *len" as I have seen
all of these on occasion?

++L