* [9fans] Atom upgrade
@ 2013-02-14 13:56 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2013-02-14 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all.

Is it possibile to upgrade the Atom distro likewise the Bell's one ?

adriano

* Re: [9fans] Atom upgrade
@ 2013-02-14 14:29 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-02-14 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb 14 08:58:03 EST 2013, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> Is it possibile to upgrade the Atom distro likewise the Bell's one ?

hi, not really.  (working on it)  right now, mkfs makes a pretty good
substitute.  it knows enough not to copy older files.  the problem is
not stepping not overwriting running programs.

the straightforward way to do this is boot from cd and use mkfs
to copy from the cd.  you'll have to mount your fs by hand.

the complicated way is to create a ramfs to hide the executables
you're using and hopefully rio won't crash while you're doing this,
but basically  (just an example, i haven't debugged this)

	ramfs
	@{cd /bin; tar c .} | @{cd /tmp; tar x}	# all of it; we have the memory
	path=(/tmp)
	# cd /tmp				# not necessary; mkfs doesn't delete

	cdfs -d $mydev
	9660srv -f /mnt/cd/d000

	mount /srv/boot /n/boot
	# not sure if you want -p; -k is paranoia
	disk/mkfs -bkpvd /n/boot -s /n/d000 <{echo +}

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Atom upgrade
@ 2013-02-14 15:16   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2013-02-14 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> On Thu Feb 14 08:58:03 EST 2013, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> Is it possibile to upgrade the Atom distro likewise the Bell's one ?
> hi, not really.  (working on it)  right now, mkfs makes a pretty good
> substitute.  it knows enough not to copy older files.  the problem is
> not stepping not overwriting running programs.
>
> the straightforward way to do this is boot from cd and use mkfs
> to copy from the cd.  you'll have to mount your fs by hand.
>
> the complicated way is to create a ramfs to hide the executables
> you're using and hopefully rio won't crash while you're doing this,
> but basically  (just an example, i haven't debugged this)
>
> 	ramfs
> 	@{cd /bin; tar c .} | @{cd /tmp; tar x}	# all of it; we have the memory
> 	path=(/tmp)
> 	# cd /tmp				# not necessary; mkfs doesn't delete
>
> 	cdfs -d $mydev
> 	9660srv -f /mnt/cd/d000
>
> 	mount /srv/boot /n/boot
> 	# not sure if you want -p; -k is paranoia
> 	disk/mkfs -bkpvd /n/boot -s /n/d000 <{echo +}
>
> - erik

Thank you very much, Erik.
I'll try to upgrade this way a test box I should have ... somewhere.
Many days ago you gave me some suggestions about multicast.
On my home network the one-to many communication between 7 boxes works
quite fine.

adriano