* [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 12:48 Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-30 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi guys!

Does anyone use Plan 9 as platform for Go programming? If so, How is
your setup (remember that I'm a noob to Plan 9 so in layman terms
please)? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Mats

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 13:17 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2014-11-30 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am not sure I understand the question. Programming in Go on Plan 9
is almost the same as programming in Go in Unix. The "setup" is the
same.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 15:16 ` Ryan
From: Ryan @ 2014-11-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Mats Olsson

I *think* the commands would go something like this (untested):

hget https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.3.3.src.tar.gz > go.tgz
tar xf go.tgz
cd go/src
all.rc

Mats Olsson <plan9.meo@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi guys!
>
>Does anyone use Plan 9 as platform for Go programming? If so, How is
>your setup (remember that I'm a noob to Plan 9 so in layman terms
>please)? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Kind Regards,
>Mats

Check out my website: http://kirbyfan64.github.io/

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 18:13   ` Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-30 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi guys!

The thing is that I've been fooling around with Plan 9 for like 7
weeks (a real noob then) and then I read about programming in Go and
found that interesting and worth trying out. So the crude fact is that
I haven't any knowledge about programming in Go more than what I've
just read (at the golang site etc.) but since the Go language seems to
be very apt for the Plan 9 OS I thought that maybe some Plan 9 fans
already have some experience and could give me a headstart in such a
project. Hope this explanation makes sense. Thanks for your input and
we'll see what happens.

Kind Regards,
Mats

@ 2014-11-30 18:31     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-11-30 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

are you using 9pi? if so, i don't think Go is available on plan9/arm yet.

@ 2014-11-30 20:06       ` Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-30 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yes, I'm using 9pi. OK. Thanks!

@ 2014-11-30 20:09         ` Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just googled and found: https://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/wiki/GoArm

So it seems that it's supported.

@ 2014-11-30 20:09           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Nov 30 12:06:43 PST 2014, plan9.meo@gmail.com wrote:
> Just googled and found: https://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/wiki/GoArm
>
> So it seems that it's supported.

read the supported operating systems section:

"Go supports ARM on Linux. You must be running a EABI kernel.

so not even all linux.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 20:16           ` minux
From: minux @ 2014-11-30 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Nov 30, 2014 3:10 PM, "Mats Olsson" <plan9.meo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just googled and found: https://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/wiki/GoArm
>
> So it seems that it's supported.
go on arm only supports Linux, Freebsd, Netbsd, nacl and Darwin
(unofficial).

plan 9 is not on the list (yet).

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 20:37             ` Anthony Martin
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Anthony Martin @ 2014-11-30 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

minux <minux.ma@gmail.com> once said:
> On Nov 30, 2014 3:10 PM, "Mats Olsson" <plan9.meo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just googled and found: https://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/wiki/GoArm
> >
> > So it seems that it's supported.
> go on arm only supports Linux, Freebsd, Netbsd, nacl and Darwin
> (unofficial).
>
> plan 9 is not on the list (yet).

By my estimate, it would be a few days work. Even less
after some simplifying changes I want to make to the
runtime and syscall packages (like removing superfluous
differences between 386 and amd64, etc.).

We're all just waiting for the tree to open up again.

If someone volunteers to run a plan9/arm builder, I'll
do the port and have it in by the 1.5 release. ☺

Cheers,
  Anthony

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 20:46               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-30 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We're all just waiting for the tree to open up again.

i thought that was the promise of dcs -- you don't have to wait.
where did this whole thing fail?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 20:49               ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2014-11-30 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If someone volunteers to run a plan9/arm builder, I'll
> do the port and have it in by the 1.5 release. ☺

I think I can run an plan9/arm builder. What board do you want?

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 21:11                 ` Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-30 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The following quote from GoArm makes me believe it can be done on a RPi:

Supported operating systems

Go supports ARM on Linux. You must be running a EABI kernel. These are
generally known as armel for softfloat (compatible with ARMv5) or
armhf for hardware floating point (ARMv6 and above).

@ 2014-11-30 21:30                   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2014-11-30 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The following quote from GoArm makes me believe it can be done on a
> RPi

Yes. ARMv5, ARMv6 and ARMv7 are supported. But maybe something
faster than a Raspberry Pi would be better.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 22:10                 ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2014-11-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> once said:
> > We're all just waiting for the tree to open up again.
>
> i thought that was the promise of dcs -- you don't have to wait.
> where did this whole thing fail?

Well, I really meant we're waiting for the point in the
development schedule that allows new code to be up for
review.

Of course, we can (and do) develop on personal branches.

  Anthony

* Re: [9fans] GO Programming Environment in Plan 9.
@ 2014-11-30 23:12                   ` Mats Olsson
From: Mats Olsson @ 2014-11-30 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi David!

I have several Raspberry Pi's and I'm kind of doing a research of what
can be done on this platform when it comes to programming etc.
Preferable in Plan 9 OS. I'm certain that there are lots of other
options but I'm focusing on the use of the Raspberry Pi as a hardware
platform.

Kind Regards,
Mats

@ 2014-12-01  9:21               ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2014-12-01  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 i can try it on rpi's, plugs and BBBs

@ 2014-12-01  9:51                 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-12-01  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  i can try it on rpi's, plugs and BBBs

My Sheevaplug has died on me and the Olimex Olinuxino is a bit
underpowered.  I'm not sure if either will ever be viable.

Olimex have some exciting new hardware coming up, but a builder is a
bit of a tall order on ARM.

Ideally, I should use my Galaxy S5, that's where the power really lies
:-(

Lucio.