* [9fans] simple mouse problem
@ 2014-08-24 12:41 Fausto Saporito
From: Fausto Saporito @ 2014-08-24 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello all,

I installed 9front on a netbook (Packard Bell dot s).
Everything was fine, but only touchpad is working, there's no way to
use my external usb mouse.
The funny thing is when I unplug the mouse I receive this errors on the screen:

nusb/kb: ptr: /dev/usb/ep8.1: read: crc/timeout error
nusb/kb: ptr: /dev/usb/ep8.1: read: crc/timeout error
nusb/kb: fatal: crc/timeout error

I suppose nusb/kb is related to a keyboard not a mouse!?!?

thanks,
Fausto

* Re: [9fans] simple mouse problem
@ 2014-08-24 14:34 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-08-24 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I installed 9front on a netbook (Packard Bell dot s).
> Everything was fine, but only touchpad is working, there's no way to
> use my external usb mouse.
> The funny thing is when I unplug the mouse I receive this errors on the screen:
>
> nusb/kb: ptr: /dev/usb/ep8.1: read: crc/timeout error
> nusb/kb: ptr: /dev/usb/ep8.1: read: crc/timeout error
> nusb/kb: fatal: crc/timeout error
>
> I suppose nusb/kb is related to a keyboard not a mouse!?!?

one program does kbd and mouse.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] simple mouse problem
@ 2014-08-25  9:59 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-08-25  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

here is how i would start debugging this:

plug the mouse in, it gets detected by usbd and nusbrc spawns
a nusb/kb process to handle the device. you can open a rio
window and run "cat /dev/usbevent" to see what the usb address
of the device is. ps -a and look at the process arguments to get
the usb address (in your case, the address was 8). now, you need
to kill the automatically spawned kb process so you can attach
your own nusb/kb with debug flag. use kill kb and select the
lines with the pid from the previous ps and send them to the
prompt. now, you can run nusb/kb -d addr (addr is numeric
usb address) on the device and get debug prints. it should
hexdump the hid descriptor of the mouse and give values of the
items in the report descriptor. it might also be a good idea
to pull the latest version and rebuild nusb/kb afterwards, so
we'r debugging the same code.

you might join the #cat-v irc channel on freenode, then we
can do a debug session step by step.

lets do this offlist as the code is 9front specific in this case.

--
cinap