* [9fans] building the 9phone
@ 2010-02-01 16:30 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-02-01 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For all of you who have not seen this:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7917

The manual is here:
http://www.gm862.com/en/products/gsm-gprs.php?p_id=12&p_ac=show&p=7

You can build up a little phone with a gumstix and one of these. You
can script with Python. Or you can use a beagleboard, and you have the
option of plugging your phone into display/keyboard when you are home.
It's the anti-iPhone, you own the whole thing, you can do what you
want. Headphone/mic would not go via Plan 9, it is a direct connect.
These really are little cell phones in a module.

I worked with these several years ago at LANL. It was not so easy back
then as the SIM support was not great in the US. I never got PPP
working on it as you were supposed to be able to do.

You have to be careful, too: I fried one, guess it was static
sensitive? But note that they're even selling modules for use as
controllers for your
house!http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8700

Just an interesting project for someone. I think it would be easier
now, I even see SIMs for sale in airports.

ron

* Re: [9fans] building the 9phone
@ 2010-02-01 16:43 ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2010-02-01 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)