* Re: [9fans] Driver for SAN adapter
@ 2005-03-24  1:36 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-03-24  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > This might not be correct
>
> why?

I meant that I wasn't sure if it is correct to use a large
hole file and fmtarena it with "-z" option instead of zero'ing
the whole unix file (ie, without "-z" option).

I don't doubt that using unix files as sources of kfs/fossil/venti
is a good idea.  :)

* Re: [9fans] Driver for SAN adapter
@ 2005-03-24  7:05 ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2005-03-24  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> > This might not be correct
>>
>> why?
>
> I meant that I wasn't sure if it is correct to use a large
> hole file and fmtarena it with "-z" option instead of zero'ing
> the whole unix file (ie, without "-z" option).

but where has he mentioned about using a large hole file? he only says
about using a large file.

or am i missing something?

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] Driver for SAN adapter
@ 2005-03-24  6:33 ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2005-03-24  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On Wed Mar 23 15:20:31 JST 2005, Matthias Teege wrote:
>> > btw, you might be able to use a large unix file on
>> > the IBM ESS mounted via u9fs for a venti arena.
>
> This might not be correct

why?

long back i was thinking that it should be possible use
high-end SCSI disks and use raw disk interface on Linux
and use this setup from plan9 as disk area for kfs.
I was thinking about a TCP/UDP kind of communication
but thats what u9fs does anyway. so i think it is a good idea.

similarly, i think one can use flash disks or thumb drives with
venti to carry plan9 data.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] Driver for SAN adapter
@ 2005-03-24  0:33 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-03-24  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Mar 23 15:20:31 JST 2005, Matthias Teege wrote:
> > btw, you might be able to use a large unix file on
> > the IBM ESS mounted via u9fs for a venti arena.

This might not be correct, but I created a large (~20GB)
hole file on unix and initialized it by fmtarenas
with "-z" option.  It worked and saved me time to
zero the whole arena file.

* Re: [9fans] Driver for SAN adapter
@ 2005-03-23  6:16 ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2005-03-23  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> btw, you might be able to use a large unix file on
> the IBM ESS mounted via u9fs for a venti arena.

good idea. I'll try it.
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] Driver for SAN adapter
@ 2005-03-22  0:14 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-03-22  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have access to a 5TB IBM ESS which maybe a cool
> Venti server.

How much disk storage venti can manage?
I'm speaking on my vague memory, but it couldn't do
fmtarena larger than 1TB.

@ 2005-03-21 14:26 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2005-03-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

does anybody have a working Plan 9 driver for a SAN hostadapter
(IBM ESS)? I have access to a 5TB IBM ESS which maybe a cool
Venti server.

Matthias