* [9fans] VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-03 16:28 LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2005-11-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello all,
Did something major change on the VESA ISO from 9grid.de <http://9grid.de>?
I use it alot here, and recently (yester eve? morn?)
grabbed a fresh copy to install on a machine here, which not only died when
starting rio, but took about
1/2 hour to actually start. After much digging, I found the old CD, which
worked fine. I can give more specifics if
this would help. Thanks in advance,
-- Stefan

--
The subject of this essay (the Myth of Sisyphus) is precisely
this relationship between the absurd and suicide, the exact

* Re: [9fans] VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-03 16:39 ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2005-11-03 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good day.

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:28:45 -0500
LiteStar numnums <litestar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> Did something major change on the VESA ISO from 9grid.de
> <http://9grid.de>?

The kernels that are run are from April and the rest from the distrib-
ution from Bell Labs. The reason could be that these kernels get in-
compatible to the userland. If that happens, then I have to stop the
generation of the ISO and we have to wait until the VESA integration
is completed. I don't want to maintain patches to backport to April.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* [9fans] Re: VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-03 16:43 ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2005-11-03 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hmm, used the 'normal' iso, and was finished in ~ 5 minutes. How far behind,
or how far off, is the VESA ISO?
Is there any thing 'we' could to do test & further it?

--
Nietzsche's first step is to accept what he knows. Atheism for him goes
without saying and is "contructive and

* Re: [9fans] VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-03 16:47   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2005-11-03 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd be willing to help integrate VESA features into newer kernels if that is
what is needed. I've
severely limited time, but I'm willing to free some for something like
this...

--

@ 2005-11-03 16:57     ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2005-11-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good evening.

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:57:53 -0500
Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> The binary interface to the kernel has not changed
> since the 9P2000 support went in.  Give us a little credit:
> we don't just break binary compatibility on a whim.

Never thought of that. The VESA kernel is just bone old.

> The vesa code will be included with the new VM changes, which
> should appear within a week or so.

Ok, VESA ISO generation stops then.

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-03 16:57   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-11-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The kernels that are run are from April and the rest from the distrib-
> ution from Bell Labs. The reason could be that these kernels get in-
> compatible to the userland. If that happens, then I have to stop the
> generation of the ISO and we have to wait until the VESA integration
> is completed. I don't want to maintain patches to backport to April.

The binary interface to the kernel has not changed
since the 9P2000 support went in.  Give us a little credit:
we don't just break binary compatibility on a whim.

The vesa code will be included with the new VM changes, which
should appear within a week or so.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-03 16:58     ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2005-11-03 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good evening.

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:47:47 -0500
LiteStar numnums <litestar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be willing to help integrate VESA features into newer kernels if
> that is what is needed. I've
> severely limited time, but I'm willing to free some for something like
> this...

Everything will be good ....

Sincerely,

Christoph

* Re: [9fans] VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-03 17:43       ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2005-11-03 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So I see =)

--

@ 2005-11-04 16:38     ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2005-11-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The vesa code will be included with the new VM changes, which
> should appear within a week or so.

    Just out of curiosity, what type of changes are you incorporating?
    Are they just machine specific (x86) changes or have you been working
    on the mi part of the VM as well?

* Re: [9fans] VESA ISO Changes?
@ 2005-11-04  2:32 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-11-04  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The vesa code will be included with the new VM changes, which
> should appear within a week or so.

tip9ug is planning to hand-out p9 install CDs in a conference
at 11/19 and will have to burn those CDs until 11/12.
It would really be great if the vesa code and VM changes
are available by then.
--
"on travel, off the network ... and a fossil in my pocket"