That's exactly what I figured. And I was thinking FastCGI, which describes a protocol of comm. betwixt web server & application, not plain CGI. On 6/16/06, Roman Shaposhnick wrote: > > On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:01:47AM -0400, LiteStar numnums wrote: > > > > Hello all, > > Had an odd idea: shared library service... > > Executables placed in,say, /lib/shsvc, would be executed with pipes > > redirected to a mounted service (for now /n/shsvc). > > The file server at /n/shvc simply has files for each library loaded. > > An application that wishes to use the service > > can simply open a file handle to /n/shvc/library & simply read/write > > to the library file using a FastCGI/SCGI like > > protocol. The file service could do some simple checks on the data > > (making sure it's actually protocol data, &c), > > and handle if a 'library' puked while working. This may not make as > > much sense as I thought, since I am writing > > this after only two hours sleep... > > This sounds a bit like what I had in mind for writing simple > file servers. Basically the ammount of bookkeeping in lib9p > is bit too much for simple things like having an rc script > to serve a dynamic one-level tree, etc. > > On a practical level it didn't quite pan out, though. The complexity > of the scripts and such was enough of a reason to switch to C and > use lib9p directly. > > Thanks, > Roman. > -- Lead thou me on, O Zeus, and Destiny, To that goal long ago to me assigned. I'll follow and not falter; if my will Prove weak and craven, still I'll follow on. -- Epictetus He who enters his wife's dressing room is a philosopher or a fool. -- Balzac