* [9fans] Shared Library Service?
@ 2006-06-16 12:01 LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-06-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello all,
Had an odd idea: shared library service...
Executables placed in,say, /lib/shsvc, would be executed with pipes
redirected to a mounted service (for now /n/shsvc).
The file server at /n/shvc simply has files for each library loaded. An
application that wishes to use the service
can simply open a file handle to /n/shvc/library & simply read/write to the
library file using a FastCGI/SCGI like
protocol. The file service could do some simple checks on the data (making
sure it's actually protocol data, &c),
and handle if a 'library' puked while working. This may not make as much
sense as I thought, since I am writing
this after only two hours sleep...
Cheers,
--Stefan

--
Lead thou me on, O Zeus, and Destiny,
To that goal long ago to me assigned.

He who enters his wife's dressing room is a philosopher or a fool. -- Balzac

* Re: [9fans] Shared Library Service?
@ 2006-06-16 23:45 ` Roman Shaposhnick
From: Roman Shaposhnick @ 2006-06-16 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:01:47AM -0400, LiteStar numnums wrote:

>    Hello all,
>    Had an odd idea: shared library service...
>    Executables placed in,say, /lib/shsvc, would be executed with pipes
>    redirected to a mounted service (for now /n/shsvc).
>    The file server at /n/shvc simply has files for each library loaded.
>    An application that wishes to use the service
>    can simply open a file handle to /n/shvc/library & simply read/write
>    to the library file using a FastCGI/SCGI like
>    protocol. The file service could do some simple checks on the data
>    (making sure it's actually protocol data, &c),
>    and handle if a 'library' puked while working. This may not make as
>    much sense as I thought, since I am writing
>    this after only two hours sleep...

  This sounds a bit like what I had in mind for writing simple
  file servers. Basically the ammount of bookkeeping in lib9p
  is bit too much for simple things like having an rc script
  to serve a dynamic one-level tree, etc.

  On a practical level it didn't quite pan out, though. The complexity
  of the scripts and such was enough of a reason to switch to C and
  use lib9p directly.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] Shared Library Service?
@ 2006-06-17  0:14   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-06-17  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That's exactly what I figured.
And I was thinking FastCGI, which describes a protocol of comm. betwixt web
server & application, not
plain CGI.

--

       [not found] <000101c6913e$8d321f70$14aaa8c0@utelsystems.local>
@ 2006-06-16 12:25 ` "Nils O. Selåsdal"
From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" @ 2006-06-16 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

LiteStar numnums wrote:
> Hello all,
> Had an odd idea: shared library service...
> Executables placed in,say, /lib/shsvc, would be executed with pipes
> redirected to a mounted service (for now /n/shsvc).
> The file server at /n/shvc simply has files for each library loaded. An
> application that wishes to use the service
> can simply open a file handle to /n/shvc/library & simply read/write to
> the library file using a FastCGI/SCGI like
> protocol. The file service could do some simple checks on the data
> (making sure it's actually protocol data, &c),
> and handle if a 'library' puked while working. This may not make as much
> sense as I thought, since I am writing
> this after only two hours sleep...
> Cheers,
> --Stefan

This sounds more like a weird way of writing fileservers than "shared
libraries" - which I'd imagine should actually merge code/data into the
address space of the loading process.