Actually, the joke rested on the fact that Ada is dogged by complexity complaints, much like Oberon, which actually has a Native System, unlike Ada. I do realise that Oberon and Ada are dissimilar, especially given their direct origins (Wirth vs. DoD). Plus, having used Oberon, Ada & RavenSpark, I actually realise the complaints against Ada, but poking fun was all that this was meant to do. By the way, I would suggest you to look up FOURTH, LITHP & C-- for languagesist jokes... =) C-omega might even be another fun lookup Cheers, -- Sztefan On 7/18/06, Brantley Coile wrote: > > > Well, Oberon Native's been around for years... =) > > I object to that callous remark on two grounds. > > The the Oberon system is the inspiration for acme, which, given this > mailing list, gives it some sort of place of honor, and the Oberon > language is as flexible as one can get in a small, strongly typed > language. C might even have evolved to meet Oberon in the middle of > the language field, if it hadn't had pointer arithmetic. That stopped > it cold. Not only do we now require function prototypes, we can even do > typechecking of actual parameters against the format strings of print > functions. > > In any event, suggestion that Ada and Oberon are in any way related in > an insult. Langues have feelings too. :) > > http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/oreport.html > > (Is there a category for Languageist jokes? You know, like racist > jokes only for programming langues? ``There are three languages in a > boat, FORTRAN, Pascal, and C. FORTRAN says ... '') > > -- Lead thou me on, O Zeus, and Destiny, To that goal long ago to me assigned. I'll follow and not falter; if my will Prove weak and craven, still I'll follow on. -- Epictetus He who enters his wife's dressing room is a philosopher or a fool. -- Balzac