Well, actually, I was thinking of something along the lines of Lisaac: "dynamic" modules are statically compiled ala object files, & the run time handles issues between Plan9 & Inferno. Sys->load & the like would not be dynamic, but would work as expected. Hell, it could even just be a .Net/perl2exe clone: every binary is just an ultra-cut down Dis + compiled modules. I like the Lisaac model better, and that's where I was hedging my bets; I have a bunch of notes on my local Inferno install, but nothing to show due to more pressing issues. C'est la vie. & debugging this would require a 9Limbo-aware debugger; the .Net-style approach could serve a /lproc or the like though (not that the native one couldn't, but the VMish approach could have hooks for stopping execution). $0.02 On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 5:26 PM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > > >Or have a native Limbo compiler; I've been itching for that for some > time, > > > > > > it doesn't mean anything. > > > > Uh, considering that ircfs is for Inferno (via Limbo), having a Limbo > > compiler to native Plan9 would be a potential solution, assuming the run > > time could be kept the same. > > de top-posted for your reading pleasure. > > the reason that a native limbo compiler doesn't make any > sense is that inferno is not a virtual cpu, it is a virtual > system, complete with system calls, file system access, > etc. of course, this is the right way to do things since > inferno needs to run natively and on top of other systems > like windows as well as natively. > > i've heard that it was the opinion of some at the labs > in the early days of plan 9 (can anyone confirm?) that > plan 9 was a way to glue the unixes together. if that's > what plan 9 is, then one should have a fs to make an > inferno's /proc appear nativeish. but it's not clear to > me that one could bridge enough of the gap to make > this anything other than an annoyance. for example, > what if you wanted to debug an inferno process? > > - erik > > -- And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department: Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb? A: No. -- Ovid "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense." "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre." "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire, kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures" -- Heraclitus